Angle of the Sun above orbit plane on satellite-centered celestial sphere

In summary, using a satellite-centered celestial coordinate system, the maximum angle of the Sun above the orbit plane is calculated by taking the sum of the orbit inclination and the angle between the ecliptic and the Earth's equator.
gnurf
I'm trying to show that for certain combinations of altitude and inclination there will be periods of the year where a satellite has eclipse-free orbits. Using a satellite-centered celestial coordinate system, in which the orbit plane is the equator and the direction of Earth is fixed along the x-axis, how do I calculate the Sun's maximum angle above the orbit plane?

I know the altitude, and thus the angular radius of the Earth disc on the sphere. In my book, to get the maximum angle of the Sun above the orbital plane, they simply take the sum of the orbit inclination and the angle between the ecliptic and the Earth's equator (23 deg). This is fine until the orbit inclination > 67 degs, for which the max sun angle would exceed 90 degrees -- which doesn't make sense (to me) if I understand the geometry in the figures of my book correctly. E.g., what if the orbit is a LEO orbit with 100 degrees inclination?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
An orbit with inclination > 90 degrees is a retrograde orbit. For example, a lot of LEO Earth observation satellites are in sun synchronous orbits with inclination of about 98 degrees.

Speaking of sun synchronous satellites: If you want to be realistic, you should incorporate the nodal precession due to the Earth's oblateness into your analysis,

[tex]\frac{\dot \Omega}{\dot m} =
-\,\frac 3 2 J_2 \left(\frac{R_E}{a}\right)^2 \cos i[/tex]

where
  • [tex]\dot \Omega[/tex] is the satellite's nodal precession rate,
  • [tex]\dot m = \surd(\mu_E/a^3)[/tex] is the satellite's mean motion,
  • [itex]a[/itex] is the satellite's semi-major axis,
  • [itex]i[/itex] is the satellite's inclination,
  • [itex]J_2=0.00108263[/itex] is the Earth's dynamic oblateness,
  • [itex]\mu_E[/itex] is the Earth's gravitational coefficient,
  • [itex]R_E[/itex] is the Earth's equatorial radius.

Thanks for you replies DH.

I plugged in an altitude of 700 km and inclination of 98 deg into the expression you provided, and got a nodal precession rate of 0.963 degs/day.

I read that this is the rate of change of right ascension of the ascending node, which in this case would (almost) imply a fixed orbit plane with respect to the Earth-Sun vector (i.e. a sun-sync orbit). Is this equivalent with saying that the duration of the eclipse period for such an orbit is constant over the course of a year?

Also, are there any good free visualization tools out there one could use to get a better feel for how different orbits behave etc?

gnurf said:
Is this equivalent with saying that the duration of the eclipse period for such an orbit is constant over the course of a year?
That would be correct if the Earth's orbit about the Sun was circular. It isn't. For sun-synchronous satellites that fly roughly over local noon / local midnight, the effect is small. For those that fly roughly over the terminator, the effect is quite significant. These satellites can see the Sun all of the time for most of the year, but have a short eclipse season where the Sun is eclipsed by the Earth for part(s) of each orbit.

Also, are there any good free visualization tools out there one could use to get a better feel for how different orbits behave etc?
STK does a good job, and the basic version is free. I don't know what the basic version's capabilities are. (A useful, non-basic is far from free. STK makes Matlab look cheap.)

1. What is the angle of the Sun above the orbit plane on a satellite-centered celestial sphere?

The angle of the Sun above the orbit plane on a satellite-centered celestial sphere is known as the solar elevation angle. It represents the angle between the Sun's rays and a horizontal plane at the satellite's location. This angle changes throughout the day as the Earth rotates and the satellite orbits around it.

2. How is the angle of the Sun above the orbit plane calculated?

The angle of the Sun above the orbit plane is calculated using the satellite's position and the location of the Sun relative to the Earth. It takes into account the Earth's rotation, the satellite's orbit, and the tilt of the Earth's axis. This calculation is important for satellite positioning and determining the satellite's visibility to the Sun.

3. Why is the angle of the Sun above the orbit plane important for satellite imaging?

The angle of the Sun above the orbit plane is important for satellite imaging because it affects the amount and angle of sunlight reaching the Earth's surface. This can impact the quality of satellite images, as well as the visibility of certain features on the Earth's surface. The angle of the Sun also affects the amount of solar energy that can be captured by satellites for power generation.

4. How does the angle of the Sun above the orbit plane change throughout the year?

The angle of the Sun above the orbit plane changes throughout the year due to the Earth's tilt and its revolution around the Sun. This results in the changing of seasons and the varying lengths of day and night. The angle of the Sun also changes at different latitudes, with the highest angle occurring at the equator during the equinoxes.

5. What are some factors that can affect the angle of the Sun above the orbit plane?

The angle of the Sun above the orbit plane can be affected by several factors, including the Earth's rotation, the satellite's orbit, the Earth's axial tilt, and the location of the Sun. Additionally, atmospheric conditions, such as clouds and dust, can also impact the angle of the Sun and affect satellite operations and imaging. Changes in the Earth's orbit or variations in the Sun's activity can also influence this angle over long periods of time.