1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Angle with respect to x or y axis.

1. Oct 3, 2006 #1
    Could anyone please tell me what angle I need to find when the question asks to find an angle with respect to x axis. (or y axis)
    Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 3, 2006 #2
    with respect to the x or y: let's say that your angle is in 2-space or a 2-d angle. If you want to measure it with respect to the x axis it means that you start on the x - axis and move counter clockwise to your angle. the same logic is used for the y as well

4. Oct 3, 2006 #3
    Which side of x-axis (positive side or negative side) should I choose to start moving counter clockwise to my angle?

5. Oct 3, 2006 #4
    usually it is the positive side

6. Oct 4, 2006 #5
    A question tells me to find an angle of a vector F with respect to positive x-axis.

Suppose the vector F points 17.1 degrees west of north. Then if I were to find angle of this vector with respect to positive x-axis, I add 17.1 degrees and 90 degrees and get 107.1 degrees, right?
    On a question that asked to find the angle with respect to positive x-axis, I solved it as stated above, but it's wrong.
    What is wrong with my method?

7. Oct 4, 2006 #6
    your angle is in the second quadrant. so you should do this 180-17.1 = 162.9 degrees.

8. Oct 4, 2006 #7
    I tried 162.9 degrees but I was told it's wrong. It's very frustrating.. :(
    The question should explain what it means by "with respect to positive x-axis".
    What should I do?

Last edited: Oct 4, 2006
  9. Oct 4, 2006 #8
    I still don't get this. Please tell me how to do this.

10. Oct 5, 2006 #9
    Now I got it. I had made a small mistake.
    Mesmer, thank you for your help. =)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?