Helix Angle or Pitch Angle for this Solenoid carring Current?

In summary, the conversation revolves around the concept of a pitch angle in relation to a helix. The textbook does not provide a clear definition and there are different interpretations found online. The conversation includes a discussion on the possible definition of the pitch angle and how it relates to the dimensions of the helix. It is suggested to consult a diagram or ask the professor for clarification.
magiladd
Homework Statement
A wire is wound in a helix of pitch angle alpha on the surface of a cylinder of a radius a so that N complete turns are formed. Find the Vector Potential if a current I runs through it.
Relevant Equations
You see, I don’t know the equation, which is the problem.
I honestly have such a dumb question- it says “a pitch angle” but cannot find that in relation to a helix. It is not defined in the textbook. Looking on google I found a helix angle, but is that different than the pitch angle? Can anyone draw me a picture of where the pitch angle is?

I assumed it was the angle from the axis to the difference in height between one turn. I do not know if it should be the angle from the opposite turn to the difference in these turns. Does that make sense? If I were to draw a triangle, I would write that the opposite is the difference in heights of the helix, and the adjacent was the radius. I believe that was wrong too.

If anyone can help me figure out what this picture even looks like, or if the angle is from one side of the helix or the axis, or if you can tell me what a pitch angle is that would be great!

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
1644869875392.png

http://www.expertsmind.com/topic/cl...gs/spring-subjected-to-axial-load-915517.aspx

Likes Delta2
  • Informative
Likes berkeman
berkeman said:
Yikes! That is confusing, having different ways of labeling the pitch angle. So I guess the OP will have to find some diagram or ask the professor.
If the OP can't get the 'official' required definition, I'd suggest stating whatever definition is preferred and then running with that.

The various possible definitions should all be simply related, so choice of definition is (hopefully) not a big deal.

Likes berkeman

1. What is the difference between helix angle and pitch angle for a solenoid?

The helix angle refers to the angle at which the wire is wound around the solenoid, while the pitch angle refers to the distance between each turn of the wire. In other words, the helix angle determines the direction of the wire, while the pitch angle determines the spacing between the turns.

2. How does the helix angle affect the strength of a solenoid?

The helix angle can affect the strength of a solenoid by changing the direction and alignment of the magnetic field. A larger helix angle can result in a stronger magnetic field, while a smaller angle can weaken the field.

3. What is the optimal helix angle for a solenoid carrying current?

The optimal helix angle for a solenoid carrying current depends on the specific application and desired strength of the magnetic field. In general, a larger helix angle will result in a stronger field, but may also require more energy to maintain.

4. How does the pitch angle affect the efficiency of a solenoid?

The pitch angle can affect the efficiency of a solenoid by changing the distance between the wire turns and therefore the amount of current needed to create a specific magnetic field strength. A smaller pitch angle can result in a more efficient solenoid, but may also require more precise winding techniques.

5. Can the helix angle and pitch angle be adjusted after a solenoid is constructed?

Yes, the helix angle and pitch angle can be adjusted after a solenoid is constructed by re-winding the wire. However, this process can be difficult and may not be recommended for complex or delicate solenoids.