1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Angles in Two-Dimensional Elastic Collision

1. Nov 13, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The setup is there are two pucks (m1, m2) on an air table and they undergo elastic collision while m2 is stationary. I am asked to find the angle between the two velocities but I can't figure out how without being giving at least one angle.

Variables:
    m1 = 28.0 g = 0.28 kg
    m2 = 102 g = 0.102 kg
    v1 = 0.785 m/s
    v2 = ?

2. Relevant equations
    Ki = (1/2)m1v1i2
    Kf = Ki
    Kf = (1/2)m1v1f2 + (1/2)m2v2f2 = Ki

3. The attempt at a solution
    First I went about finding what v2 was by using Kf = Ki

(1/2)(0.028)(0.785)2 + (1/2)(0.102)v2f2 = (1/2)(0.028)(1)2
    (0.008) + (1/2)(0.102)v2f2 = (0.014)
    v2f2 = (0.117)
    v2f = 0.343 m/s

Now this is the part I'm stuck, since they want me to find the angle between v1 and v2. If they had given me at least an angle for m1 I could use [0 = m1v1fsin[tex]\theta[/tex] - m2v2fsin[tex]\theta[/tex]] but I have no angles to work with, and I'm not sure how I should arrange the equations to find the angle. If I were to guess I would say that they angle would be 90o since m2 was stationary, but I'm not sure how to prove that and I don't think it applies to this case since I have two different masses.

If anyone could help me understand this problem, that would be great!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 13, 2009 #2
    Denote the angles of 2 v after collision along x-axis is alpha and beta. Then you write down conservation of momentum in x and y-axis. You will have 2 equations that contains cos, sin. Do some stuff and you can find 2 angles :D

4. Nov 13, 2009 #3

ideasrule

Homework Helper

You can define your coordinate axes so that the moving puck is initially travelling along the x-axis. You can then assume its angle (to the x-axis) becomes theta1 after the collision while the other puck goes off at theta2. Now there are three unknowns, v2f, theta1, and theta2, and three equations: 2 for momentum and 1 for energy.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook