Angular Acceleration (I don't see HOW I can be wrong?)

In summary, a student sought help with an introductory physics problem involving angular momentum and acceleration. Despite attempting several equations and using various measurements, they were unable to arrive at the correct answer. Their professor pointed out that gravity is not the only force acting on the board, and suggested using the formula I(a)=rF. The student was able to correctly use this formula, but made an error in their calculations.
Lucretius
My friend in introductory physics came to me for help today. He has a test on angular momentum, acceleration etc. I figured, with me in upper-division physics courses, I'd be able to help him out. Well, I guess I was dead wrong. In half an hour I couldn't figure out a SINGLE THING. I don't see how my answers could be wrong. Everything I tried did not line up with that his professors answers were.

Homework Statement

We have a horizontal board of length 2.4 meters and mass 1.8 kg connected on the left side to a pivot point, and was suspended by some string at the other side. The string is cut, and we are to find the initial angular acceleration of the board. Sounds easy enough... as the initial acceleration is just due to gravity, the only force now acting on the board.

Homework Equations

A lot of formulas were provided, a tangential = r*a angular, t=I(angular a) t=rF. Standard equations for angular rotation.

The Attempt at a Solution

At first I tried simple a tangential = r a angular. I used g for the tangential acceleration and the r I used was both the full length of the board, and the cm length (l/2). Either way, I didn't get the 6.13 rad/s that the answer supposedly was.

Next I tried using I(a)=rF, where F is due to gravity, the r was at the cm length. The I was 1/3ML^2, where L is the length of the board, M is the mass of the board (1.8 kg). I STILL did not get the correct answer.

I'm out of ideas now, and even though this isn't my class, I still want to know why can't I get basic physics right? It's times like these that I feel like I've learned absolutely nothing as a physics major over the two-three years I've been in the department.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Isn't it just the torque divided by the moment of inertia? I think the torque is (gML)/2 and the moment is (ML^2)/3 which would give 3g/2L as the answer.

Yes, 3g/2L it is.

Lucretius said:
Sounds easy enough... as the initial acceleration is just due to gravity, the only force now acting on the board.
Gravity is not the only force on the board--you still have a force from the pivot. Accordingly, the acceleration of the center of mass does not equal g.
At first I tried simple a tangential = r a angular. I used g for the tangential acceleration and the r I used was both the full length of the board, and the cm length (l/2). Either way, I didn't get the 6.13 rad/s that the answer supposedly was.
This won't work, for reasons stated above.
Next I tried using I(a)=rF, where F is due to gravity, the r was at the cm length. The I was 1/3ML^2, where L is the length of the board, M is the mass of the board (1.8 kg). I STILL did not get the correct answer.
This is perfectly correct, so you must have made an error somewhere.

1. What is angular acceleration?

Angular acceleration is the rate of change of angular velocity over time. It measures how quickly an object's angular velocity is changing, and in what direction.

2. How is angular acceleration calculated?

Angular acceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in angular velocity by the change in time. It is represented by the symbol α (alpha) and has units of rad/s².

3. What is the difference between angular acceleration and linear acceleration?

Angular acceleration measures the change in an object's rotational motion, while linear acceleration measures the change in an object's linear motion. Linear acceleration is measured in units of distance over time squared (m/s²), whereas angular acceleration is measured in units of radians over time squared (rad/s²).

4. How does angular acceleration impact an object's motion?

Angular acceleration can cause an object to change its rotational speed, direction, or both. It is responsible for the circular or rotational motion of objects, such as spinning tops, wheels, and planets.

5. Can angular acceleration be negative?

Yes, angular acceleration can be negative. This indicates that an object's angular velocity is decreasing, or that it is changing direction in a clockwise rotation. A positive angular acceleration indicates that the object is speeding up or changing direction in a counterclockwise rotation.