Proving units for angular acceleration

In summary, the conversation discusses the equation for angular acceleration and how to prove that the units on each side of the equation are the same. The confusion arises from the angular part being dimensionless, while the right side of the equation has units of N*m/kgm^2. It is important to note that units only come into play when plugging in numbers, and that showing the dimensions are the same is sufficient in this case.
Jack999
Moved from a technical forum, so homework template missing
So the equation for angular acceleration on the AP physics sheet reads α = ΣT / I. I am required to prove that the units on each side are the same however I can't figure out how to get the rad/s^2 unit for angular acceleration into the same form as the right side which is N*m/ kgm^2

Any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Jack999 said:
So the equation for angular acceleration on the AP physics sheet reads α = ΣT / I. I am required to prove that the units on each side are the same however I can't figure out how to get the rad/s^2 unit for angular acceleration into the same form as the right side which is N*m/ kgm^2

Any help would be appreciated.
What is one Newton?

Its 1 kgm/s^2 right? I don't understand how you get radians out of kgm^2/s^2 / kgm^2 which simplifies to kgm^2 / kgm^2s^2

It simplifies further as you can cancel there. Radians isn't a unit. It's a dimensionless number.

so you are saying 1/s^2 is the same as rad/s^2 in terms of units?

Jack999 said:
so you are saying 1/s^2 is the same as rad/s^2 in terms of units?
Yes. Alternatively you would have to keep track on the angular part on both sides of the equation. You must not take it into account on the LHS and disrespect it on the RHS. What are your variables ##\Sigma, T , I\,##? Where's the angular hidden in it?

Jack999 said:
I am required to prove that the units on each side are the same
That may be what was asked of you, but it is not what they mean. What you can do is show the dimensions are the same. Units don't come into it until you plug in numbers.
E.g. F=ma is dimensionally consistent. If the mass is 1kg and the acceleration is 1m/s2 then I can write the force in Newtons:
1N=(1kg)(1m/s2).
But I also could write the force in dynes:
105 dynes =(1kg)(1m/s2).

1. What are the units used to measure angular acceleration?

The units used to measure angular acceleration are radians per second squared (rad/s^2) in the SI system and degrees per second squared (deg/s^2) in the imperial system.

2. How do you calculate angular acceleration?

Angular acceleration is calculated by taking the change in angular velocity over a given time interval. The formula is: angular acceleration = (final angular velocity - initial angular velocity) / time.

3. Can angular acceleration be negative?

Yes, angular acceleration can be negative. A negative value indicates that the object is slowing down its rotation.

4. What is the difference between angular acceleration and linear acceleration?

Angular acceleration refers to the rate of change of angular velocity, while linear acceleration refers to the rate of change of linear velocity. Angular acceleration is measured in rotational units, while linear acceleration is measured in meters per second squared (m/s^2).

5. How is angular acceleration related to force and moment of inertia?

Angular acceleration is directly proportional to the net force applied to an object and inversely proportional to its moment of inertia. This can be expressed using the formula: angular acceleration = net torque / moment of inertia.