1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Angular acceleration of a cylinder rotating around another

1. Dec 14, 2016 #1
    Screen Shot 2016-12-15 at 7.29.03 AM.png

For Q11(b), what is the relation between the angular acceleration ##\alpha## of the bottom right cylinder and its horizontal acceleration ##a_x##?

I get ##\alpha=\frac{a_x}{\sqrt{3}R}##, which is half the given answer (7.84) below.

After the bottom right cylinder rolls around the top cylinder by an angle of rotation ##\theta## about its (the bottom right cylinder's) own center of mass, the cylinders will look as follows:
    image.jpeg
    (The bottom left cylinder is omitted in the drawing.)

Let the axis of symmetry of the figure of 3 cylinders at ##t=0## be ##x=0##. (In other words, the point of contact of the two bottom cylinders has an ##x## coordinate of 0).

Then the ##x## coordinate of the center of the bottom right cylinder, ##x = 2R\sin\phi##, where ##\phi=30^\circ+\theta##.

##\dot{x}=2R\cos\phi\dot{\phi}##

##\ddot{x}=2R(\cos\phi\ddot{\phi}-\sin\phi\dot{\phi}^2)=2R(\cos\phi\alpha-\sin\phi\omega^2)##, where ##\alpha=\ddot{\theta}## is the angular acceleration of the bottom right cylinder and ##\omega=\dot{\theta}## is its angular velocity.

At ##t=0##, ##\phi=30^\circ## and ##\omega=0##. Thus ##\ddot{x}=2R(\cos 30^\circ\alpha)##. And we get ##\alpha=\frac{a_x}{\sqrt{3}R}##.

The given answer:
    Screen Shot 2016-12-15 at 7.29.31 AM.png

I believe the given answer is wrong because I suspect there is an approximation involved when it uses an infinitesimal distance ##d## in deriving (7.84).

Last edited: Dec 14, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 15, 2016 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I don't believe that ##\ddot{\theta}## equals the angular acceleration ##\alpha## of the bottom right cylinder.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coin_rotation_paradox

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted