Angular Acceleration of a grinding wheel

In summary, a vertical grinding wheel with a mass of 62 kg and a radius of 45 cm has a handle with a negligible mass and a radius of 69 cm. When a 25-kg load is attached to the handle in a horizontal position, the initial angular acceleration of the wheel is 9.31 rad/s^2, neglecting friction. The maximum angular velocity of the wheel is 3.32 rad/s, taking into account that the 25-kg weight has dropped a distance of 0.69 m.
spirited

Homework Statement

A vertical grinding wheel is a uniform disk of mass 62 kg and radius 45 cm. It has a handle of radius 69 cm of negligible mass. A 25-kg load is attached to the handle when it is in the horizontal position.
(a) Neglecting friction, find the initial angular acceleration of the wheel in rad/s^2.
(b) Find the maximum angular velocity of the wheel in rad/s.

Homework Equations

I = 1/2MR^2 + mr^2
t = mgr for torque
a = t/I for angular acceleration
mgr = 1/2Iw^2

The Attempt at a Solution

a) Neglecting friction, find the initial angular acceleration of the wheel.
9.31 rad/s^2
I found I which is 18.18 kg m^2 using the above equation.
I then gound T(t) which is 169.23 Nm
a = t/I = 9.31 rad/s^2

(b) Find the maximum angular velocity of the wheel.
I used mgr = 0.5Iw^2 and got w = 3.32 rad/s

***What am I doing wrong?? I know both are wrong answers. I think I am doing something wrong for part a. Please help!
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

I think for a) your method is OK. I calculate 9.2 m/s2
with I = 18.38 but let's not quibble too much over that.

For b) though I think you are overlooking that the 25 kg weight has dropped .69 m and not the r of .45.

I understand it now...Thanks.

1. What is angular acceleration and how is it related to a grinding wheel?

Angular acceleration is the rate at which the angular velocity of an object changes over time. In the case of a grinding wheel, it refers to how quickly the wheel is speeding up or slowing down as it rotates.

2. How is angular acceleration calculated for a grinding wheel?

Angular acceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in angular velocity by the change in time. This can be represented by the formula α = (ω2 - ω1)/t, where α is the angular acceleration, ω2 is the final angular velocity, ω1 is the initial angular velocity, and t is the change in time.

3. What factors can affect the angular acceleration of a grinding wheel?

The angular acceleration of a grinding wheel can be affected by factors such as the force applied to the wheel, the size and weight of the wheel, and the surface texture of the wheel.

4. Why is angular acceleration important in the operation of a grinding wheel?

Angular acceleration is important in the operation of a grinding wheel because it determines the speed at which the wheel rotates. This can affect the efficiency and effectiveness of the grinding process and can also impact the quality of the finished product.

5. How can angular acceleration be measured for a grinding wheel?

Angular acceleration can be measured using various tools such as accelerometers or tachometers. These devices can track the changes in angular velocity of the grinding wheel and calculate the corresponding angular acceleration.