Angular Acceleration of a Rigid Bar

In summary, the problem involves two identical masses connected by a rigid bar rotating in a vertical plane. The goal is to determine the angular acceleration when the system is released from rest in a horizontal position. The first step is to find the moment of inertia using the equation I = Ʃ(r^2)(m). After this, the next step is to consider what causes the system to have angular acceleration and what direction it will rotate in. The rotational analog of Newton's second law of motion will also be useful in solving this problem.
reuben19

Homework Statement

Two identical masses with a mass of m each are connected by a rigid bar of negligible mass and rotate in a vertical plane in an anti-clockwise direction.

Homework Equations

If the system is released from rest when it is in a horizontal position, determine the angular acceleration of motion.

The Attempt at a Solution

So far, this is my progression towards a final solution. Firstly, find the moment of inertia of the system:

I=Ʃ(r^2)(m)
= (d-a)^2(m) + (a)^2(m)
= (d-a)(d-a)(m) + (a)^2(m)
= md^2 - 2adm + 2ma^2

I'm getting stuck after I do this, because I have no idea what to do after I find the moment of inertia in order to find the angular acceleration. I have attached an image to help the visualisation of the situation. Your help would be greatly appreciated! :)

Attachments

• Rigid Bar.png
    Rigid Bar.png
    8.7 KB · Views: 591
Physics news on Phys.org
Think about what causes the system to have an angular acceleration. Which way will it tend to rotate when you let it go? Why? What is the rotational analog of Newton's second law of motion?

1. What is angular acceleration?

Angular acceleration is a measure of how quickly an object's angular velocity changes over time. It is expressed in units of radians per second squared (rad/s²).

2. How is angular acceleration calculated?

Angular acceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in angular velocity by the change in time. It is represented by the symbol alpha (α) and the formula is α = Δω/Δt, where Δω is the change in angular velocity and Δt is the change in time.

3. What is a rigid bar?

A rigid bar is a physical object that does not deform under the influence of external forces. It maintains its shape and size when subjected to external forces, making it a useful tool for studying rotational motion.

4. How is angular acceleration related to linear acceleration?

Angular acceleration and linear acceleration are related through the radius of rotation. The linear acceleration of a point on a rigid bar is equal to the product of its angular acceleration and its distance from the axis of rotation.

5. How is the direction of angular acceleration determined?

The direction of angular acceleration is determined by the direction of the change in angular velocity. If the angular velocity is increasing, the direction of angular acceleration is in the same direction as the angular velocity. If the angular velocity is decreasing, the direction of angular acceleration is opposite to the direction of the angular velocity.