1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Angular Acceleration - What am I doing wrong?

1. Sep 24, 2009 #1
    I am trying to answer the following question:

A cyclist starts from rest and pedals such that the wheels of the bike have a constant angular acceleration. After 12.0 s, the wheels have made 26 revolutions. What is the angular acceleration of the wheels?

My attempt at a solution:

This problem seems extremely simple, but for some reason I'm not getting the answer.

From the question I can determine that the initial angular velocity of the cyclist is equal to zero at t = 0.

When t = 12.0s:

I worked out the 26 revolutions in 12 seconds to 13.6 rad/s by

[tex]\frac{26}{12.0}[/tex] = 2.17 rev/s = [tex]\frac{130 rev}{1 min}[/tex]

Therefore, [tex]\frac{130 rev}{1 min}[/tex] x [tex]\frac{2\pi rad}{1 rev}[/tex] x [tex]\frac{1 min}{60 s}[/tex] = 13.6 rad/s

[tex]\omega[/tex]f= 13.6 rad/s

So, [tex]\alpha[/tex] = [tex]\frac{\Delta\omega}{\Delta(t)}[/tex]

[tex]\alpha[/tex] = [tex]\frac{13.6 rad/s - 0 rad/s}{12.0 s}[/tex]

[tex]\alpha[/tex] = 1.13 rad/s2

Also, I'm assumining that the wheels are moving in a clockwise direction therefore making the velocity and the acceleration negative; giving me a final answer of -1.13 rad/s2

Now I know this answer is wrong, I just don't know why.

Can someone give me a hand? Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 24, 2009 #2

kuruman

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hold on a minute! Angle divided by time is angular velocity only if the acceleration is zero (constant angular speed). You have to use the rotational kinematics equations.

4. Sep 24, 2009 #3
    Oh wow! Thank you so much.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook