Centripetal Acceleration while Swinging a Stone on a String

singh101
Homework Statement
I can't seem to figure out the answer for this question with formulas given.
Relevant Equations
Angle of rot= arc length/ radius
Angular velocity= angle of rotation/ time
v=rw (v=tangential veloctity) (w=angular velocity) r= radius
centripe acceleration= v^2/r
So my initial understanding is that it completes 5 revolutions per second. I converted the 5 rev to radians, so each revolution is 2pi. Now since I got angle of rotation I can plug it into the angular velocity formula which is Angular velocity= angle of rotation/ time. However since I don't have time I can change the formula to angle of rot x frequency. Frequency in this case would be 5. So ang Velocity is 10pi rad/s. From their on I get the tang velocity and plug it into the centrip acceleration formula, however I keep getting the wrong answer. Is there anyway to solve this with the equation given below or am I missing any equations.
Screen Shot 2024-01-16 at 6.27.41 PM.png

Screen Shot 2024-01-16 at 6.18.55 PM.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
singh101 said:
So ang Velocity is 10pi rad/s.
Right so far.
singh101 said:
From their on I get the tang velocity and plug it into the centrip acceleration formula, however I keep getting the wrong answer.
I cannot tell where you went wrong if you do not show your detailed working.

Likes MatinSAR
my question is that is 2pi the angle of rotation or is that the angular velocity.

Oh wait I think I figured out my mistake. The 5 revolutions per second is the frequency am I correct? How would that be stated as a period

singh101 said:
my question is that is 2pi the angle of rotation or is that the angular velocity.
There is no specific angle of rotation in the question, only a rate: 5 revs/s ##=10\pi^c/s##, where the c denotes radians.

Likes MatinSAR
singh101 said:
Oh wait I think I figured out my mistake. The 5 revolutions per second is the frequency am I correct? How would that be stated as a period
The rotation period is the time to complete one revolution.

Likes MatinSAR
singh101 said:
so is the 5 revolution per second the frequency or period. I am assuming that is the frequency. If it is the frequency then what would the period be stated as if it were given in the question.
5 revs/s is the rotation rate. "Frequency" needs to be distinguished from "angular frequency ". The frequency is the number of revolutions per unit time, 5 per second, whereas angular frequency is the number of radians per unit time.
In equations like ##v=\omega r## and ##a=\omega^2r## use the angular frequency.

Likes MatinSAR
oh ok so 5rev/s can be converted into rad by multiplying it by 2pi which gives is 10pi rad/s. This then in added to the formula v=rw. so w is 10pi x 0.4. which gives us 4pi. This is then put into the formula v^2/r (4pi)^2/0.4= 40m/s^2. Am I correct?

Likes PhDeezNutz
singh101 said:
oh ok so 5rev/s can be converted into rad by multiplying it by 2pi which gives is 10pi rad/s. This then in added to the formula v=rw. so w is 10pi x 0.4. which gives us 4pi. This is then put into the formula v^2/r (4pi)^2/0.4= 40m/s^2. Am I correct?
Yes. Or you can use ##\omega^2r## for the centripetal acceleration instead, skipping finding v.

Likes MatinSAR and singh101
Oh ok thank you so much I understand where I made the mistake.

Likes PhDeezNutz

1. What is centripetal acceleration while swinging a stone on a string?

Centripetal acceleration is the acceleration directed towards the center of the circular path of an object in motion. When swinging a stone on a string, the centripetal acceleration is the acceleration that keeps the stone moving in a circular path instead of flying off in a straight line.

2. How is centripetal acceleration calculated?

Centripetal acceleration can be calculated using the formula: a = v^2 / r, where a is the centripetal acceleration, v is the velocity of the object, and r is the radius of the circular path.

3. What factors affect the centripetal acceleration of a stone on a string?

The centripetal acceleration of a stone on a string is affected by the velocity of the stone and the radius of the circular path. A higher velocity or a smaller radius will result in a higher centripetal acceleration.

4. How does centripetal acceleration affect the tension in the string while swinging a stone?

Centripetal acceleration affects the tension in the string by exerting a force towards the center of the circular path. This force is what keeps the stone moving in a circular path and creates tension in the string to prevent the stone from flying off.

5. What is the relationship between centripetal acceleration and centripetal force while swinging a stone on a string?

Centripetal acceleration and centripetal force are related by Newton's second law of motion, which states that force is equal to mass times acceleration (F = ma). In the case of swinging a stone on a string, the centripetal force is the tension in the string that provides the centripetal acceleration needed to keep the stone moving in a circular path.