Angular acceleration with a mass

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of angular acceleration for a solid cylinder of mass 1.54 kg and radius 0.100 m. In the first scenario, a force equal to the weight of a 0.590 kg mass is applied, resulting in an angular acceleration of 75.1 rad/s^2. However, in the second scenario, where a mass of 0.590 kg is hung from the string instead of applying a force, the tension is not equal to mg and therefore the calculated angular acceleration of 75.091 rad/s^2 is incorrect. The correct calculation method is needed.
tg22542

Homework Statement

1) A solid cylinder of mass M = 1.54 kg and radius r = 0.100 m pivots on a frictionless bearing. A string wrapped around the cylinder pulls downward with a force F that equals the weight of a 0.590 kg mass, i.e., F = 5.782 N. Calculate the angular acceleration of the cylinder.

2)If instead of applying the force F, a mass m = 0.590 kg is hung from the string, what is the angular acceleration of the cylinder?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the answer to 1) to be 75.1 rad/s^2.

For 2) I have been doing this:

m*g*r = T

angaccel = t/l

Inertia moment for a solid cylinder = 1/2mr^2

angaccel = t / 1/2mr^2

using my numbers that gives me:

(.5782)/(.5*1.54*.1^2) = 75.091 rad/s^2

This is wrong. I have tried 8 times now on the same question and cannot get it, any help?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: Since the 0.590Kg mass is accelerating downwards the tension it generates isn't mg.

What is angular acceleration with a mass?

Angular acceleration with a mass refers to the rate of change of angular velocity of an object with mass as it rotates around an axis.

How is angular acceleration with a mass calculated?

Angular acceleration with a mass can be calculated by dividing the torque applied to the object by the moment of inertia of the object.

What is the unit of measurement for angular acceleration with a mass?

The unit of measurement for angular acceleration with a mass is radians per second squared (rad/s^2).

How does mass affect angular acceleration?

The higher the mass of an object, the more torque is required to cause a change in its angular velocity, resulting in a lower angular acceleration.

What are some real-life examples of angular acceleration with a mass?

Some real-life examples of angular acceleration with a mass include the rotation of a spinning top, a figure skater spinning on one foot, and the rotation of a car's wheels on an axis.