Angular Acceleration without Angular Speed.

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the angular acceleration of a wheel at a given time using a kinematic equation, but ultimately concludes that the definition of angular acceleration is the most appropriate and yields a value of -24 rad/s^2.
Awkwardness

Homework Statement

A wheel rotating about a fixed axis has an angular position given by theta= 3.0 - 2.0t^3, where theta is measured in radians and t in seconds. What is the angular acceleration of the wheel at t = 2.0s?

Homework Equations

wf = w + at

The Attempt at a Solution

I realize I most likely should use that kinematic equation to find the angular acceleration, but how would I find the angular speed? dtheta/dt? If so, is it like -6t^2/2?
Assuming w is just -6t^2, then I then got -6t^2=at. Which should be -12=a but I don't see that as an answer. Closest would be -24 rad/s^2.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Just look up the definition of angular acceleration:

[tex] \alpha = \frac{d^2\theta}{dt^2} [/tex]

zachzach said:
Just look up the definition of angular acceleration:

[tex] \alpha = \frac{d^2\theta}{dt^2} [/tex]

Hmm so it would be -24 rad/s2 wouldn't it?

That's what I got.

zachzach said:
That's what I got.

Alright thankyou. I was set on using the kinematic equation and completely overlooked the simpler method.

Also, the kinematic equations only work when there is constant acceleration (that is how they are derived). As you can see in this case the acceleration is NOT constant.

Thankyou, I'll keep that in mind. I appreciate it.

What is angular acceleration?

Angular acceleration is the rate at which the angular velocity of an object changes over time. It is represented by the symbol α and is measured in radians per second squared (rad/s²).

How is angular acceleration different from angular speed?

Angular acceleration and angular speed are related but different concepts. Angular speed is the rate at which an object rotates around an axis, while angular acceleration is the rate at which the angular velocity of that object changes.

Can an object have angular acceleration without angular speed?

Yes, an object can have angular acceleration without angular speed. This means that the object is not rotating, but its angular velocity is changing over time.

What causes angular acceleration without angular speed?

Angular acceleration without angular speed can be caused by a variety of factors, such as changes in the direction of the object's motion, changes in the object's mass or distribution of mass, or the presence of external forces.

How is angular acceleration without angular speed calculated?

Angular acceleration without angular speed can be calculated using the formula α = Δω/Δt, where α is the angular acceleration, Δω is the change in angular velocity, and Δt is the change in time. It can also be calculated using the formula α = τ/I, where τ is the torque applied to the object and I is the object's moment of inertia.