1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Angular accelleration(need verification)

1. Feb 28, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

At the buttom of a loop in the vertical (r-theta) plane at the altitude of 400 meters an airplane has a horizontal velocity of 600 km/h (no horizontal accelleration). The radius of the curvature of the loop is 1200 meters.

Find the accelleration of plane in m/s^2 and the angular accelleration of the plane in rad/s^2

3. The attempt at a solution

I assume that the loop is circular and thus the velocity of the plane in the loop is

[tex]v = \frac{2\pi \cdot r}{t} = \frac{2\pi \cdot 1200 m}{3600 sec} = 2.0944 m/s[/tex]

the angular accelleration is the in this case

[tex]v^2/1200 m = 0.00365 rad/s^2[/tex]

In the book its that the angular accelleration is 0.0365 rad/s^2.

what am I doing wrong?

What accelleration of the plane how do I calculate that?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 28, 2010 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi Susanne! :smile:

(buttom … is that a pirate spelling? :biggrin:)

Sorry, but you've gone completely loopy on this.

v is given, as 600 km/h,

(your formula for v is actually a formula for the speed if it took an hour to complete the circle :rolleyes:)

and your v2/r is the formula for (linear) centripetal acceleration not angular acceleration. :redface:

Get some sleep :zzz:, and try again! :smile:

(oh, and assuming the speed is constant, "the acceleration of the plane" is the centripetal acceleration)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook