Angular dependence of electron-positron to two photons

• Thread starter wasia
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

Hello,

First of all, it is not a homework question, just something I wonder about.

The dominating electron-positron annihilation process at low energies is photon pair creation. What is the angular dependence of the total cross section?

For some reason I expect the head-on collision to have the highest cross-section and the collinear situation to have the lowest cross-section, is it really the case?

I am not a particle physicist, but I expect the calculation to be pretty difficult, involving IR divergences and collinear divergences. Could you give me a reference to the solution of the problem or the experimental results and perhaps give some physical intuition on the whole thing.

Thanks in advance.

Answers and Replies

Meir Achuz
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
"I expect the head-on collision to have the highest cross-section and the collinear situation to have the lowest cross-section"
I don't know what you mean by this.
In the center of mass system, it is always head-on.
In that system, the photon distribution is spherically symmetric.
The distribution in other initial configurations can be found by Lorentz transformation.

Do I understand correctly that you claim that the invariant matrix element does not depend on the angle?

Meir Achuz
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Yes. The electron and positron annihilate from a state of zero total spin and zero angular momentum so there is no angular distributon of the two photons.

Vanadium 50
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
2019 Award
But that's only half the answer. Why zero total spin?

That's more subtle - the answer there is that state has to produce three photons. So for exactly two photons, it's isotropic.