Angular displacement, velocity and acceleration

From there, you can convert revolutions per minute into revolutions per second, which will be your angular speed.
wellz121
I have a few problems that I am very confused on. If someone could walk me through them that would be a big help.

1. An antique spring-driven Victrola phonograph plays recordings at 78 rpm. At the end of each record the arm hits a lever that activates a brake that brings the record to rest in 1.3 s. Through how many radians does it turn in the process of stopping?

2. Placed on a long incline, a wheel is released from rest and rolls for 30.0 s until it reaches a speed of 11.0 rad/s. Assume its acceleration is constant, what angle did it turn through?

3. What is the average angular speed of the Earth in its orbit? Take a year to be 365.24 days. Give your answer to three significant figures.

Physics news on Phys.org
Made a mistake on this one...see the post below instead

Last edited:
I think you're placing these in the wrong forum, these should be in the Introductory Physics...

wellz121 said:
I have a few problems that I am very confused on. If someone could walk me through them that would be a big help.

1. An antique spring-driven Victrola phonograph plays recordings at 78 rpm. At the end of each record the arm hits a lever that activates a brake that brings the record to rest in 1.3 s. Through how many radians does it turn in the process of stopping?

You have an angular velocity, [itex]\omega=78[/itex] rpm and a time [itex]t=1.3[/itex] s, so then either convert [itex]\omega[/itex] into revolutions per second or [itex]t[/itex] into minutes, multiply the two then convert from revolutions to radians.

wellz121 said:
2. Placed on a long incline, a wheel is released from rest and rolls for 30.0 s until it reaches a speed of 11.0 rad/s. Assume its acceleration is constant, what angle did it turn through?

You're given an initial and final angular velocity, [itex]\omega_i=0[/itex] and [itex]\omega_f=11[/itex] rad/s respectively. If you subtract the initial angular velocity from the final angular velocity, [itex]\omega_f-\omega_i[/itex] and then divide by the time given, you will have the angular acceleration, [itex]\alpha[/itex]. Using [itex]\alpha[/itex], [itex]\omega_i[/itex], [itex]t[/itex], you should put it into the rotational kinematic equation

[tex]
\theta=\omega_it+\frac{1}{2}\alpha t^2
[/tex]

then you can find the total angle through which it rotated in the motion.

wellz121 said:
3. What is the average angular speed of the Earth in its orbit? Take a year to be 365.24 days. Give your answer to three significant figures.

The Earth travels [itex]2\pi[/itex] radians per year. If you convert days into hours into minutes, you can divide the angle, [itex]2\pi[/itex], by the time to get radians per minute. Then convert radians into revolutions so that you'll have revolutions per minute.

1. What is angular displacement?

Angular displacement is the measure of the change in position of an object from its initial point to its final point along a circular path. It is typically measured in radians or degrees.

2. How is angular velocity different from linear velocity?

Angular velocity is a measure of how quickly an object is rotating around a fixed point, while linear velocity is a measure of how quickly an object is moving in a straight line. Angular velocity is typically measured in radians per second, while linear velocity is measured in meters per second.

3. What is the relationship between angular velocity and angular acceleration?

Angular acceleration is the rate of change of angular velocity over time. In other words, it measures how quickly the angular velocity is changing. The relationship between the two is similar to the relationship between linear acceleration and linear velocity.

4. How is angular acceleration calculated?

Angular acceleration is calculated by dividing the change in angular velocity by the time it took for that change to occur. It is typically measured in radians per second squared.

5. How do these concepts apply to real-world situations?

Angular displacement, velocity, and acceleration are important concepts in physics and engineering, and can be applied to a variety of real-world situations such as the motion of planets around the sun, the rotation of car tires, and the movement of a pendulum. Understanding these concepts can help us analyze and predict the behavior of rotating systems.