Angular momentum and rotations

In summary, the group law being conserved for infinitesimal rotations implies that the operator ##R_{\mathbf{e}_z}(\mathrm{~d} \alpha)## is necessarily of the form $$R_{\mathbf{e}_z}(\mathrm{~d} \alpha)=1-\frac{i}{\hbar} \mathrm{d} \alpha J_z$$ where ##J_z## is a Hermitian operator. This is because the unitarity of the operator implies that ##J_z## must be Hermitian for the group law to be conserved. This relation is the definition of ##J_z## as the infinitesimal generator relative to a virtual z axis.
Kashmir
Cohen tannoudji. Vol 1.pg 702"Now, let us consider an infinitesimal rotation ##\mathscr{R}_{\mathbf{e}_z}(\mathrm{~d} \alpha)## about the ##O z## axis. Since the group law is conserved for infinitesimal rotations, the operator ##R_{\mathbf{e}_z}(\mathrm{~d} \alpha)## is necessarily of the form: $$ R_{\mathbf{e}_z}(\mathrm{~d} \alpha)=1-\frac{i}{\hbar} \mathrm{d} \alpha J_z $$ where ##J_z## is a Hermitian operator since ##R_{\mathbf{e}_z}\left(\mathrm{~d} \alpha\right.## ) is unitary (cf. Complement ##\mathrm{C}_{\mathrm{II}}, \S 3## ). This relation is the definition of ##J_z##."

Why is it that; Since the group law is conserved for infinitesimal rotations, the operator ##R_{\mathbf{e}_z}(\mathrm{~d} \alpha)## is necessarily of the form: $$ R_{\mathbf{e}_z}(\mathrm{~d} \alpha)=1-\frac{i}{\hbar} \mathrm{d} \alpha J_z $$ where ##J_z## is a Hermitian operator?

Physics news on Phys.org
Unitarity of ##R \equiv R_{e_z}## means
$$R R^{\dagger}=(1-\mathrm{i} \mathrm{d} \alpha J_z)(1+\mathrm{i} \mathrm{d} \alpha) J_z^{\dagger} = 1 -\mathrm{i} \mathrm{d} \alpha (J_z - J_z^{\dagger}) + \mathcal{O}(\mathrm{d} \alpha^2) \stackrel{!}{=} 1 + \mathcal{O}(\mathrm{d} \alpha^2) \; \Rightarrow \; J_z=J_z^{\dagger}.$$

Likes Omega0, Kashmir, topsquark and 1 other person
vanhees71 said:
Unitarity of ##R \equiv R_{e_z}## means
$$R R^{\dagger}=(1-\mathrm{i} \mathrm{d} \alpha J_z)(1+\mathrm{i} \mathrm{d} \alpha) J_z^{\dagger} = 1 -\mathrm{i} \mathrm{d} \alpha (J_z - J_z^{\dagger}) + \mathcal{O}(\mathrm{d} \alpha^2) \stackrel{!}{=} 1 + \mathcal{O}(\mathrm{d} \alpha^2) \; \Rightarrow \; J_z=J_z^{\dagger}.$$
I was trying to ask about why does
The group law being conserved for infinitesimal rotations imply that

##R_{\mathbf{e}_z}(\mathrm{~d} \alpha)=1-\frac{i}{\hbar} \mathrm{d} \alpha J_z## . Why does it necessarily have this form

Likes Omega0
... because this is the infinitesimal generator relative to an virtual z axis? Is your question like "why is the Taylor expansion of the e function is at it is.."?

Kashmir said:
I was trying to ask about why does
The group law being conserved for infinitesimal rotations imply that

##R_{\mathbf{e}_z}(\mathrm{~d} \alpha)=1-\frac{i}{\hbar} \mathrm{d} \alpha J_z## . Why does it necessarily have this form
Every operator parameterized by an infinitesimal has that form. The group law implies ##J_z## is Hermitian. That's the point.

Last edited:
Likes vanhees71

1. What is angular momentum?

Angular momentum is a measure of an object's rotational motion. It is defined as the product of an object's moment of inertia and its angular velocity.

2. How is angular momentum different from linear momentum?

Angular momentum is a property of rotating objects, while linear momentum is a property of objects in straight-line motion. Angular momentum involves both the mass and distribution of mass of an object, while linear momentum only involves the mass and velocity of an object.

3. How is angular momentum conserved?

Angular momentum is conserved in a closed system, meaning that the total angular momentum of the system remains constant. This is due to the law of conservation of angular momentum, which states that the total angular momentum of a system remains constant unless acted upon by an external torque.

4. What is the relationship between torque and angular momentum?

Torque is the measure of the force that causes an object to rotate. The greater the torque applied to an object, the greater its angular acceleration will be, resulting in a change in its angular momentum.

5. How does angular momentum affect rotational motion?

Angular momentum plays a significant role in rotational motion. It determines the direction and rate of rotation of an object, and can also be used to predict the behavior of rotating systems, such as gyroscopes and spinning tops.