Angular momentum/Hamiltonian operators, magnetic field, basis states problem?

In summary, an atom with angular momentum l=1 is in an eigenstate of Lx, with an eigenvalue of \hbar. It then passes into a region with a magnetic field, and the Hamiltonian acting on the wavefunction is: H = \frac{e}{2m_e}BL_z. Express the initial state of the angular momentum in the basis of the eigenstate of this Hamiltonian.
jeebs
Hi,
Here's my problem, probably not that difficult in reality but I don't get how to approach it, and I've got an exam coming up soon...

An atom with total angular momentum l=1 is prepared in an eigenstate of Lx, with an eigenvalue of [tex]\hbar[/tex]. (Lx is the angular momentum operator for the x-component). It then passes into a region where there is a uniform magnetic field B in the z-direction. The Hamiltonian acting on the angular part of the wavefunction in the magnetic field is:
[tex] H = \frac{e}{2m_e}BL_z [/tex] where me is the electron mass.

I have to "Express the initial state of the angular momentum in the basis of the eigenstate of this Hamiltonian."

I am also given the matrix representation of the operators Lx Ly and Lz:

[ 0 1 0 ]
[ 1 0 1 ]
[ 0 1 0 ][tex]\frac{\hbar}{\sqrt{2}} = L_x[/tex]

[ 0 1 0 ]
[-1 0 1 ]
[ 0 -1 0][tex]-i\frac{\hbar}{\sqrt{2}} = L_y[/tex]

[1 0 0 ]
[0 0 0 ]
[0 0 -1][tex]\hbar = L_z[/tex]

So, I haven't really made much progress with this. What I've thought so far is to start with v being the initial eigenstate the atom is in before the field comes, so that
[tex] L_xv = \hbar v [/tex]

and then when the field is on, the atom is going to be in one of the eigenstates ui of the operator H, where [tex] Hu_i = \frac{e}{2m_e}BL_zu_i [/tex]

Am I actually being asked to write v in terms of a linear combination of ui's?
If so, then I am stumped as to how to proceed next, and if not, then I haven't got the slightest clue what I'm supposed to be doing.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?
Much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
First you diagonalize the matrix representing Lx. The state you want is the eigenvector corresponding to eigenvalue [tex]+\hbar[/tex].

kuruman said:
First you diagonalize the matrix representing Lx. The state you want is the eigenvector corresponding to eigenvalue [tex]+\hbar[/tex].

I wasn't sure what diagonalizing meant so I looked on wikipedia. Apparently, if I have an NxN matrix with N eigenvalues, diagonalizing it means writing a diagonal matrix of those 3 eigenvalues, with zeros everywhere else, right?

well, we are only given one eigenvalue for the Lx matrix, namely [tex]\hbar[/tex] - how can I make a 3x3 diagonal matrix out of that?
I'm still really not sure what's meant to be going on here...

jeebs said:
I wasn't sure what diagonalizing meant so I looked on wikipedia. Apparently, if I have an NxN matrix with N eigenvalues, diagonalizing it means writing a diagonal matrix of those 3 eigenvalues, with zeros everywhere else, right?

well, we are only given one eigenvalue for the Lx matrix, namely [tex]\hbar[/tex] - how can I make a 3x3 diagonal matrix out of that?
I'm still really not sure what's meant to be going on here...
Look at this link

http://www.fen.bilkent.edu.tr/~degt/math220/diag.pdf

It provides an example for a 3x3 matrix just like you have. Try to follow the example and if you get stuck let me know.

I understand your confusion and can provide some guidance on how to approach this problem. First, let's break down the information we have been given. We know that the atom has a total angular momentum of l=1 and is in an eigenstate of Lx with an eigenvalue of \hbar. We also know that it is passing through a region with a uniform magnetic field B in the z-direction, and the Hamiltonian for this system is given. Finally, we are given the matrix representations of the operators Lx, Ly, and Lz.

To express the initial state of the angular momentum in the basis of the eigenstates of the Hamiltonian, we need to find the eigenstates of the Hamiltonian and then express the initial state in terms of these eigenstates. We know that the Hamiltonian operator H is related to the angular momentum operator Lz, so we can use the matrix representation of Lz to find the eigenstates of H. The eigenstates of H will be the basis states that we are looking for.

To find the eigenstates, we can solve the equation Hu_i = \frac{e}{2m_e}BL_zu_i for u_i. This will give us the eigenstates of the Hamiltonian, which we can then use to express the initial state in terms of. Remember that u_i will be a vector in the form [a b c], where a, b, and c are constants. So, when we solve the equation, we will get three eigenstates: u_1, u_2, and u_3.

Once we have the eigenstates, we can express the initial state v in terms of a linear combination of these eigenstates. This means that we can write v as a linear combination of u_1, u_2, and u_3, with coefficients that we will need to solve for. This will give us the basis states that we are looking for.

In summary, to solve this problem, we need to find the eigenstates of the Hamiltonian using the equation Hu_i = \frac{e}{2m_e}BL_zu_i, and then express the initial state v in terms of a linear combination of these eigenstates. I hope this helps and good luck on your exam!

1. What is angular momentum and how is it related to Hamiltonian operators?

Angular momentum is a physical quantity that describes the rotational motion of an object. It is closely related to Hamiltonian operators, which are mathematical operators used to describe the total energy of a system. The angular momentum operator is part of the Hamiltonian operator and is used to calculate the total angular momentum of a system.

2. Can you explain the concept of magnetic field and its effects on particles?

A magnetic field is a region of space around a magnet or electric current where magnetic forces can be observed. Particles, such as electrons, experience a force when moving through a magnetic field, causing them to move in a curved path. This phenomenon is known as the Lorentz force and is the basis for many technologies such as electric motors and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI).

3. What is the basis states problem in quantum mechanics?

The basis states problem in quantum mechanics refers to the difficulty in determining the exact states of a system due to the uncertainty principle. In quantum mechanics, the states of a system are described by wave functions, which can only provide probabilities of a particle's location, rather than its exact position. This makes it challenging to determine the exact state of a system.

4. How can Hamiltonian operators be used to solve problems in quantum mechanics?

Hamiltonian operators are essential tools in quantum mechanics because they represent the total energy of a system and can be used to determine the time evolution of a system. By applying Hamiltonian operators to the Schrödinger equation, the wave function of a system can be calculated, providing information about the system's energy levels and dynamics.

5. What are basis states and how are they used in quantum mechanics?

Basis states are a set of states used to describe a quantum system. They form the basis for the mathematical representation of a system's wave function and can be used to determine the probabilities of a particle's location or energy. Basis states are typically chosen to make calculations more manageable, and different problems may require different basis states.