1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetic field Hamiltonian in different basis

1. Jul 27, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A spin-1/2 electron in a magnetic field can be regarded as a qubit with Hamiltonian
    $$\hat{H} = \frac{1}{2}g\mu_B\textbf{B}\cdot\boldsymbol\sigma$$. This matrix can be written in the form of a qubit matrix
    $$
    \begin{pmatrix}
    \frac{1}{2}\epsilon & t\\
    t^* & -\frac{1}{2}\epsilon
    \end{pmatrix}$$
    Where it fulfils the eigenvalue equation ##\hat{H}|\psi\rangle = E|\psi\rangle## in the basis of ##|1\rangle## and ##|0\rangle##.
    Let us choose ##|0\rangle## and ##|1\rangle## to be the eigenstates of ##\sigma_x## with eigenvalues ##\pm 1## and find ##\epsilon## and ##t## in terms of ##\textbf{B}## if we write the Hamiltonian in this basis.

2. Relevant equations
    The eigenstates of ##\sigma_x## are
    $$\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\begin{pmatrix} 1\\1 \end{pmatrix}, \quad \text{and} \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\begin{pmatrix} 1\\-1 \end{pmatrix}$$
    with eigenvalues 1 and -1 respectively.

The qubit Hamiltonian can be written as
    $$
    \hat{H} = \frac{\epsilon}{2}\{|1\rangle\langle1|-|0\rangle\langle0|\} + t|1\rangle\langle0|+t^*|0\rangle\langle1|$$

And the magnetic field Hamiltonian can be written as $$
    \hat{H} = \frac{1}{2}g\mu_B\begin{pmatrix}B_z & B_x-iB_y\\
    B_x+iB_y & -B_z\end{pmatrix}$$

3. The attempt at a solution
    I actually do not see the connection how to write this in the basis spanned by the eigenstates of ##\sigma_x##. The solution for eigenvalues ##E## and eigenstates of the qubit Hamiltonian are given later in the book and I thought about using these, but I do not think they are necessary since these are explained after this question.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 27, 2016 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

To express the Hamiltonian in matrix form, you have to first choose a basis. The matrix you wrote down (in terms of B) is written with respect to the basis consisting of eigenstates of ##\sigma_z##. The problem seems to be asking you to express ##\hat H## in terms of the eigenstates of ##\sigma_x## instead, and then compare it to the qubit matrix and identify the corresponding values of ##\varepsilon## and ##t##.

4. Jul 28, 2016 #3
    Yes I see. Can someone verify if the following is correct?

I use ##\langle x |\hat{H}| z\rangle## where ##x## and ##z## denote the eigenstates of the corresponding Pauli matrices.
    This can be written as ##T_x^\dagger \hat{H}T_z## (I think this is wrong but I do not see why).
    Where ##T_x## is the matrix given by the eigenstates of ##\sigma_x##:
    $$T_x = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\begin{pmatrix}
    1 & 1\\
    1 & -1\end{pmatrix}$$

From this we get:
    $$
    \hat{H}_x = \frac{g \mu_B}{2\sqrt{2}}
    \begin{pmatrix}
    B_x+B_z+iB_y & B_x-B_z-iB_y\\
    -B_x+B_z-iB_y & B_x+B_z-iB_y
    \end{pmatrix}$$
    Which I think is not correct since this Hamiltonian is not Hermitian.

5. Jul 28, 2016 #4

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

What's your reasoning for doing this?

6. Jul 29, 2016 #5
    I see, I thought completely wrong and was confused about notations. I found the answer in another thread, thank you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted