1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Angular momentum of a particle in a spherically symmetric potential

1. Apr 5, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A particle in a spherically symmetric potential is in a state described by the wavepacked

[tex] \psi (x,y,z) = C (xy+yz+zx)e^{-alpha r^2} [/tex]

What is the probability that a measurement of the square of the angular mometum yields zero?
    What is the probability that it yields [tex] 6\hbar^2 [/itex]?
    If the value of l is found to be 2. what are the relative probabilities of m=-2,-1,0,1,2

2. The attempt at a solution

i think the first part is simply aking to calculate [itex] <L^2>[/itex]

but the carteisna coords are throwing me off... Should i convert to spherical polars?? Till now whenever the angular momentum L^2 and Lz were required, they were gotten using
    [tex] \hat{L^2} \psi_{nlm_{l}} = l(l+1) \psi_{nlm_{l}} [/tex]

really from the spherical harmonics... however conversion to spherical polars doesnt yield any familiar spherical harmonic either.

can it written in a way that yields familiar spherical harmonics, however??

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 6, 2007 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes. Convert to spherical coordinates. You won't necessarily get a spherical harmonic but you can decompose it into spherical harmonics in the usual way you split a wavefunction relative to an orthonormal basis.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?