1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Atomic Physics - Orbital Angular Momentum Probability

1. Apr 24, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Consider an electron in a state described by angular wavefunction $$\psi(\theta,\phi)=\sqrt{\frac{3}{4 \pi}}\sin \theta \cos \phi$$ Here θ and φ are the polar and azimuthal angles, respectively, in the spherical coordinate system.

i. Calculate the probability that a simultaneous measurement of the electron orbital angular momentum squared (L2) and the Z component of the electron orbital angular momentum (Lz) will give 2ħ2 and ħ respectively.

ii. What is the probability of measuring L2 = 2ħ2 ?
    iii. What is the probability of measuring Lz = 0 ?
    2. Relevant equations
    $$\psi(\theta,\phi) = \sum_{l=0}^{l=\infty} \sum_{m=-l}^{m=+l}c_{l,m} Y_{l,m} (\theta, \phi)$$

$$c_{l,m} = \int Y^{*}_{lm}(\theta, \phi) \psi (\theta, \phi) d\Omega$$
    3. The attempt at a solution

In my notes I am told that $$\vert c_{l,m} \vert ^2$$ is the probability that a simultaneous measurement of L2 and Lz on a particle described by the wavefunction ψ gives l(l+1)ħ2 AND mħ.
    The probability that a measurement of L2 will give l(l+1)2 is simply the sum of the probabilities for each possible m state: $$P(l) = \sum_{m=-l}^l \vert c_{l,m} \vert ^2$$

Looking up the wavefunction in a table, it seems to be a spherical harmonic with l=1 and m=0
    which means m can range between -1 and 1.

Now for question i. the answer would simply be $$\vert c_{1,1} \vert ^2$$ ...but how can I calculate what c is?

I guess my problem is similar for part ii. as the answer would be $$P(l) = \sum_{m=-l}^l \vert c_{l,m} \vert ^2$$ where m can be -1, 0 and 1...but I'm stumped on how to calculate cl,m

Any help would be greatly appreciated !
    Thank you

Last edited: Apr 24, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 24, 2017 #2

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

Are you sure about the parts I indicated in red?

Why m = 0?

4. Apr 24, 2017 #3
    Sorry! Edited my post, it was meant to be 2ħ2.

I am having trouble understanding the integral though... What are Yl,m... and dΩ :(
    I have a table with values of Y0,0, Y1,0, Y1,1 etc...

So for example $$Y_{0,0} = \sqrt{\frac{1}{4 \pi}}$$

$$c_{0,0} = \int \sqrt{\frac{1}{4 \pi}} \sqrt{\frac{3}{4 \pi}} \sin \theta \cos \phi d\Omega$$
    where $$\int d\Omega = \int_0^{2 \pi} d\phi \int_0^{\pi} \sin \theta d\theta$$

$$c_{0,0} = \frac{\sqrt{3}}{4\pi} \int_0^{2 \pi} \cos \phi d\phi \int_0^{\pi} \sin^2 \theta d\theta$$

Leading to a sin φ evaluated between 2π and 0... Which is 0, so c0,0=0 ? Am I on the right track?

If I then apply this with the other values, I could work out each value for c, and put them into the equations to get the probabilities?

So i. would be c1,12
    ii. would be c1,-12+c1,02+c1,12

Correct?

5. Apr 24, 2017 #4
    Working through the numbers, I have got an answer of $$c_{1,0}=0$$ $$c_{1,1}=-\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}$$ and $$c_{1,-1}=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}$$

Which means the answer to i. is 1/2, ii. is 1/2+1/2 = 1
    But how do I calculate the probability of measuring Lz=0?

The probability of m=1 AND l =1 was 1/2 (from part i.)
    and the probability of l=1 is 1 from part ii.
    This suggests that the probability of m=1 is 1/2...?
    Which I'm assuming is the same for the probability of m=-1
    As such the probability of m=0 is 0, correct?

6. Apr 25, 2017 #5

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

That's one way to do it. You can also get it directly from the fact that all coefficients ##c_{l,0}## are zero, therefore the probability of measuring ##m=0## is zero.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted