1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Angular momentum of turntable problem

1. Mar 28, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A 1.9kg , 20 cm-diameter turntable rotates at 150rpm on frictionless bearings. Two 480g blocks fall from above, hit the turntable simultaneously at opposite ends of a diameter, and stick.

what is the objects angular velocity in rpm right after this event?

2. Relevant equations

L=Iω where L is angular momentum, I is the moment of inertia and ω is the angular velocity
    moment of inertia for a disk rotating about it's center 1/2*m*r^2

3. The attempt at a solution

Ok, so it seems like a simple conservation problem, so I tried to solve it like one.

I final*ω final = I initial * ω initial
    ergo
    ω final = (I initial * ω initial)/ I final

convert 150 rpm in rad/s, (150/60)*2[itex]\pi[/itex] =15.71

since the formula for the moment of inertia "I" for a disk rotating about the center is 1/2*m*r^2
    I just plug in the values

(.5*1.9kg*.1^2m*15.71 rad/s)/ (.5*(1.9+.96kg)*.1^2m) = 10.44 rad/s

converting back to rpm (10.44/ 2[itex]\pi[/itex] )*60 = 99.66 rpm rounded to 100 rpm.

But this solution is incorrect. What have I done wrong?

Last edited: Mar 28, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 28, 2013 #2
    You seem to believe that the final moment of inertia is that of a more massive disk, but that is not write. You should treat the system as a disk with two additional masses at its rim.

4. Mar 28, 2013 #3
    I see what you're saying, but I have no idea how to account for that in the math. Another hint please?

5. Mar 28, 2013 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Do you know the moment of inertia for a point-mass at a radius r? Just use this (for both masses).

6. Mar 28, 2013 #5
    You can consider the disk and the masses separately, and sum their ang. mom.

7. Mar 28, 2013 #6
    Thank you much guys, those tips got me to where I needed to go!

Edit: Oh yeah, I made "I final" equal the sum of the moments of inertia of the disk, and the two point masses. Thanks a bunch.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2013
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted