Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Angular momentum operators for bosons

1. Jan 11, 2012 #1
    I understand how the Pauli matrices can operate on the quantum state of an electron to obtain measurements of its intrinsic spin along the x, y and z axes. I also understand that since these matrices do not commute, it is impossible to determine what all three components were before measurment.

My question is this: What are the corresponding operators that measure the spin components of bosons? For massive bosons (like the W and Z), I imagine these operators would be 3x3 matrices, since there would be three possible values of spin (-1, 0, +1). For massless bosons (like the photon and gluon?), the operators would be 2x2, since 0-spin is not possible. Do these operators have a name, and do they commute?

Thank you in advance for any replies to this question, and please correct any errors I might have made in posing my question.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 11, 2012 #2

Bill_K

Science Advisor

cygnet1, The general answer is that the matrices are the set of Clebsch-Gordan coefficients that couple together two representations of the rotation group. More specifically, spin 1 particles are vector particles, and the ways to couple two vectors A1 and A2 are quite familiar: A1·A2 forms spin 0, A1 x A2 forms spin 1, and spin 2 is the symmetric traceless tensor that's left over. :smile: Massless bosons work the same way: they're still vectors.

4. Jan 12, 2012 #3

Avodyne

Science Advisor

Yes.
    No, they're still 3x3, but in any allowed state, the amplitude of the 0 component (in the direction of the momentum) must vanish.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook