Angular momentum problem starting from some point on the x-axis.

In summary, a 2.0 kg block initially at rest on the positive x-axis 2.0 m from the origin is acted on by a constant force. After this force has acted for 3 seconds, the angular momentum of the block about the origin is determined using the formulas F=ma, x=(x0)+(v0)t+(1/2)at^2, v=v0+axt, and L=rXP. A different formula, τ = dL/dt, may also be used to calculate the angular momentum.
raymondmax1

Homework Statement

A 2.0 kg block is initially at rest on the positive x-axis 2.0 m from the origin. It is acted on by a constant force F = (4.0i − 4.0 j)N. After this force has acted for 3 s, what is the angular momentum of the block (in kg.m2/s) about the origin?

Homework Equations

F=ma
x = (x0) + (v0)t + (1/2)at^2
v = v0 +axt
L=rXP

The Attempt at a Solution

Fx=m(ax) = 2 m/s^2
Fy=m(ay) = -2 m/s^2

(Vx0)=0 (Vx)=0+2(3)=6 m/s
(Vy0)=0 (Vy)=0+(-2)(3)=-6 m/s

so, V= 6i-6j m/s

(rx)=2+1/2(2)(3)^2
=11
(ry)=0+1/2(-2)(3)^2
=-9

so, r= 11i-9 m

L= rXP = rXmV= (11i-6j)X(2)(6i-6j)

= (11i-6j)X(12i-12j)
= (-66k-56k)
=-112k m^2/s

The correct answer is -24k.
I am not sure what I have done wrong.

This is for studying for an exam I have on Saturday.

Thanks,

Ray

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi Ray! Welcome to PF! :smile:
raymondmax1 said:
A 2.0 kg block is initially at rest on the positive x-axis 2.0 m from the origin. It is acted on by a constant force F = (4.0i − 4.0 j)N. After this force has acted for 3 s, what is the angular momentum of the block (in kg.m2/s) about the origin?

F=ma
x = (x0) + (v0)t + (1/2)at^2
v = v0 +axt
L=rXP

uhh? :confused:

just use τ = dL/dt :wink:

Thanks!

I'm not sure how to use that formula. I think my prof did it with those other formulas.

do you think you can explain it more deeply??

-Ray :)

??

Hi Ray,

Great job on attempting the problem and showing your work. It seems like you have the correct equations and steps, but there are a few small errors in your calculations. Let's take a closer look and see where you went wrong.

In your attempt, you calculated the velocity in the x-direction correctly as 6 m/s. However, in the y-direction, you made a small mistake. The initial velocity in the y-direction should be -6 m/s, not -6i m/s. This is because the block is initially at rest on the x-axis, so there is no velocity in the y-direction. Therefore, the final velocity in the y-direction should also be -6 m/s, not -6i m/s. This will result in a different value for the y-component of the position vector, which will affect your final answer for the angular momentum.

Additionally, when calculating the position vector, you made a small error in the y-component. It should be 2 + (1/2)(-2)(3)^2 = -4, not -9. This is because the block is moving in the negative y-direction, so the displacement in the y-direction should also be negative.

Correcting these errors, your final position vector will be r = 11i - 4j m. Plugging this into the equation for angular momentum, you should get a final answer of -24k m^2/s, which is the correct answer given in the problem.

Keep up the good work and remember to double check your calculations and units to avoid small errors. Good luck on your exam!

Best,

1. What is angular momentum?

Angular momentum is a measure of the rotational motion of an object around a fixed point. It is a vector quantity that takes into account both the mass and velocity of the object.

2. How is angular momentum calculated?

The angular momentum of an object is calculated by multiplying the moment of inertia (a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion) by the angular velocity (the rate at which the object is rotating) and the distance from the point of rotation to the object.

3. What is the relationship between angular momentum and the x-axis?

The x-axis is often used as the fixed point from which angular momentum is measured. This means that the angular momentum vector is perpendicular to the x-axis and is directed either towards or away from the axis, depending on the direction of rotation.

4. What is the "starting from some point on the x-axis" in the angular momentum problem?

This phrase refers to the initial position of the object in relation to the x-axis. The problem may specify that the object is starting from a certain distance or angle from the x-axis, which will affect the calculation of angular momentum.

5. How does conservation of angular momentum apply in this problem?

Conservation of angular momentum states that the total angular momentum of a system remains constant unless acted upon by an external torque. In the context of the problem, this means that the initial angular momentum of the object starting from the x-axis will remain the same as it rotates, unless there is an external torque present.