Angular speed people walking problem

In summary, the problem involves two people walking around a circular lake in opposite directions with angular speeds of 1.7*10-3 rad/s and 3.4*10-3 rad/s. The total distance around the lake is 2π radians and the total speed is the sum of the two walkers' speeds. To find out how long it will take for them to meet, the equation ω * t = θ = 2π can be used, where ω is the rate of walking toward each other and t is the time it takes for them to meet.
sweedeljoseph

Homework Statement

Two people start at the same place and walk around a circular lake in opposite directions. One has an angular speed of 1.7*10-3 rad/s, while the other has an angular speed of 3.4*10-3 rad/s. How long will it be before they meet?

Homework Equations

w=[tex]\theta[/tex]/Delta t
*v=vo+at ~ w=wo+[tex]\omega[/tex]t
*v2=vo2+2ax ~ w2=wo2+2[tex]\omega[/tex][tex]\theta[/tex]
*x=vot+(1/2)at2 ~ [tex]\theta[/tex]=wot+(1/2)at2

the ones with * means i changed it to what the problem is about. means the same thing just different letters so you won't get confused i guess.

The Attempt at a Solution

how do you set that up in the problem i gave because there's no value that is for rad/s. or is that omega? you plug that in there? because the seconds are supposed to be squared. I am so lost. i just learned this today too. its great. please help!

thank you!
sweedeljoseph

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
This is similar to your bullet problem. You have a speed and a distance but you need a time. Do you know the total distance? Do you know the total speed?

How many radians are they apart when they start? 1 revolution is how many radians?

How fast are the walking toward each other? How many radians per second are the closing on each other?

Distance/speed = time doesn't it?

i don't know the distance or speed. all the information i had i gave. it was word for word from the problem. there's no extra reference or anything.

Your angular distance is all the way around the circle, or 2 pi radians. The total speed is the speed of the two walkers added together. They are starting back to back walking away from each other around a circular lake.

Maybe it will help you to draw a diagram of the problem...

sweedeljoseph said:
i don't know the distance or speed. all the information i had i gave. it was word for word from the problem. there's no extra reference or anything.

Gee it looks like you are given their angular rates of walking about the lake.

And you know how many radians there are in one revolution.

You have all you need.

i know the rates and there like 6.28 radians in one revolution. but what equation am i supposed to use?

Do you know what each one means? Which one makes sense given the problem you are trying to solve and the information provided?

sweedeljoseph said:
i know the rates and there like 6.28 radians in one revolution. but what equation am i supposed to use?

ω * t = θ = 2π

You know what their rate of walking toward each other is.

no i don't know what they mean. i just started learning this today and i have no idea what I am doing.

1. What is angular speed in relation to people walking?

Angular speed is a measure of how fast an object is rotating or moving in a circular path. In the context of people walking, it refers to how quickly a person's body is rotating around their center of gravity as they take steps.

2. How is angular speed calculated for someone walking?

Angular speed is calculated by dividing the angle of rotation by the time it takes to complete that rotation. In the case of someone walking, the angle of rotation would be the distance traveled in a circular path, and the time would be the duration of their steps.

3. What factors affect the angular speed of a person walking?

The main factor that affects angular speed in walking is the length of a person's legs. People with longer legs can cover more distance with each step, resulting in a faster angular speed. Other factors such as terrain, shoes, and physical fitness can also play a role.

4. Can angular speed be measured in different units?

Yes, angular speed can be measured in different units depending on the context. In the case of people walking, it is commonly measured in degrees per second or radians per second. However, it can also be measured in revolutions per minute or other units of angular displacement over time.

5. How does angular speed impact a person's walking gait?

Angular speed can impact a person's walking gait by affecting the length and speed of their steps. A higher angular speed may result in longer or faster steps, while a lower angular speed may result in shorter or slower steps. It can also impact a person's balance and coordination as they navigate turns and changes in direction.