Calculating Angular Speed of Rotating Apparatus with Attached Mass and Rod

In summary, the conversation discusses determining the angular speed of a rotating object consisting of a 3.0 kg rod and a 4.0 kg rectangle attached to it. The object rotates counterclockwise about the bottom of the rod, and the goal is to find the angular speed when the rod is horizontal. The equations used are mgh for potential energy, (w^2 * i) * .5 for rotational energy, and the moment of inertia (i) for the rod rotated on its end is (m * L^2) * .333. The solution involves finding the rotational energy for both the mass and the rod, and then adding them together. The final answer should be 5.19 rad/s.
JiggaMan

Homework Statement

The 3.0 kg rod has a length of 80 cm. The 4.0 kg rectangle attached to the rod has negligible dimensions. The entire object rotates counterclockwise about the bottom of the rod. Determine the angular speed of the apparatus at the instant the rod is horizontal.

https://gyazo.com/9d0bb4ce2fed98b192f173a918549f60

^image

Homework Equations

mgh = potential energy
( w^2 * i ) * .5 = rotational energy
i = moment of inertia
moment of intertia for rod rotated on end = (m * L^2) * .333
L = length
m = mass
w = angular speed
THE ANSWER SHOULD BE 5.19 rad/s

The Attempt at a Solution

*For the height, I found the center of gravity which is .63 meters, i think the length stays .8 though
mgh = (w^2 * i ) * .5
mgh = (w^2) * (m * L^2) * .333 * .5
7 * 10 * .63 = ( w^2 ) * (7 * .8 * .8 ) * .333 * .5
44.1 = (w^2) * .746
59.115 = (w^2)
7.68 = w
7.68 rad/s ?[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
Being the genius I am, I have self-analyzed my own work and found my error. For the rotational energy. I must find the rotational energy of the mass first, then the rod:
( ( w^2 ) * .5 * 4 * .8 * .8 ) and ( ( w^2 ) (3* .8 * .8 ) / 3 ) then add them and take out the w ^ 2 since the angular acceleration should be equal for both:
( w^2 ) ( (.5 * 4 * .8 * .8 ) + ( ( 3 * .8 * .8 ) /3 ) )
I was however correct to have found the center of gravity for mgh.

What is the concept of "Rod+mass rotating clockwise"?

The concept of "Rod+mass rotating clockwise" refers to a simple experiment in which a rod with a mass attached to one end is rotated in a clockwise direction. This experiment is often used to demonstrate concepts related to rotational motion and angular momentum.

What is the purpose of conducting the "Rod+mass rotating clockwise" experiment?

The purpose of conducting the "Rod+mass rotating clockwise" experiment is to provide students with a visual and hands-on understanding of rotational motion and angular momentum. It also allows for the application of mathematical equations and principles related to these concepts.

What factors affect the rotational motion of the "Rod+mass rotating clockwise" experiment?

The rotational motion of the "Rod+mass rotating clockwise" experiment can be affected by several factors, including the mass of the rod and attached mass, the length of the rod, the force applied to rotate the rod, and the surface on which the rod is rotating.

How does the "Rod+mass rotating clockwise" experiment relate to real-world applications?

The "Rod+mass rotating clockwise" experiment can be used to explain and understand various real-world applications, such as the motion of objects in orbit, the movement of gears in machinery, and the behavior of spinning tops.

What are some potential sources of error in the "Rod+mass rotating clockwise" experiment?

Some potential sources of error in the "Rod+mass rotating clockwise" experiment include friction between the rod and the surface, air resistance, and human error in measuring and recording data. It is important to minimize these errors to obtain accurate and reliable results.