Anh Nguyen's questions regarding indefinite integrals (integration by parts)

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
MarkFL
Gold Member
MHB
Messages
13,284
Reaction score
12
Here are the questions:

I need help to solve following integrals problems?


How to solve these problems:

1) integral of -6e^2tsintcost dt

2) integral of 5e^2tsin^2t dt

3) integral of -e^2tcos^2t dt

I have posted a link there to this thread so the OP can see my work.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Anh Nguyen,

Before we work the given problems, let's develop two formulas we can use.

First, let's consider:

$$I=\int e^{x}\sin(x)\,dx$$

Let's use integration by parts, where:

$$u=\sin(x)\,\therefore\,du=\cos(x)\,dx$$

$$dv=e^{x}\,dx\,\therefore\,v=e^x$$

Hence:

$$I=\sin(x)e^{x}-\int e^{x}\cos(x)\,dx$$

Let's use integration by parts again, where:

$$u=\cos(x)\,\therefore\,du=-\sin(x)\,dx$$

$$dv=e^{x}\,dx\,\therefore\,v=e^x$$

Hence:

$$I=\sin(x)e^{x}-\left(\cos(x)e^{x}+\int e^{x}\sin(x)\,dx \right)$$

$$I=e^{x}\left(\sin(x)-\cos(x) \right)-I$$

Add $I$ to both sides:

$$2I=e^{x}\left(\sin(x)-\cos(x) \right)$$

Divide through by $2$ and append the constant of integration:

$$I=\frac{e^{x}}{2}\left(\sin(x)-\cos(x) \right)+C$$

Thus, we have:

(1) $$\int e^{x}\sin(x)\,dx=\frac{e^{x}}{2}\left(\sin(x)-\cos(x) \right)+C$$

Next, let's consider:

$$I=\int e^{x}\cos(x)\,dx$$

Above, we found:

$$I=\cos(x)e^{x}+\int e^{x}\sin(x)\,dx$$

Using (1), we may state:

$$I=\cos(x)e^{x}+\frac{e^{x}}{2}\left(\sin(x)-\cos(x) \right)+C$$

$$I=\frac{e^{x}}{2}\left(\sin(x)+\cos(x) \right)+C$$

Hence, we may state:

(2) $$\int e^{x}\cos(x)\,dx=\frac{e^{x}}{2}\left(\sin(x)+\cos(x) \right)+C$$

Now, armed with these two formulas, let's work the given problems.

1.) We are given to evaluate:

$$I=\int -6e^{2t}\sin(t)\cos(t)\,dt$$

Using the double-angle identity for sine, we may write:

$$I=-3\int e^{2t}\sin(2t)\,dt$$

Using the substitution $$w=2t\,\therefore\,dw-2\,dt$$ we have:

$$I=-\frac{3}{2}\int e^{w}\sin(w)\,dw$$

Using (1), we obtain:

$$I=-\frac{3}{2}\left(\frac{e^{w}}{2}\left(\sin(w)-\cos(w) \right) \right)+C$$

$$I=\frac{3}{4}e^{w}\left(\cos(w)-\sin(w) \right)+C$$

Back-substituting for $w$ and $I$, we have:

$$\int -6e^{2t}\sin(t)\cos(t)\,dt=\frac{3}{4}e^{2t}\left(\cos(2t)-\sin(2t) \right)+C$$

2.) We are given to evaluate:

$$I=\int 5e^{2t}\sin^2(t)\,dt$$

Using a power-reduction identity for sine, we may write:

$$I=\frac{5}{2}\int e^{2t}\left(1-\cos(2t) \right)\,dt$$

Using the substitution $$w=2t\,\therefore\,dw-2\,dt$$ we have:

$$I=\frac{5}{4}\int e^{w}\left(1-\cos(w) \right)\,dw$$

$$I=\frac{5}{4}\left(\int e^{w}\,dw-\int e^{w}\cos(w)\,dw \right)$$

Using (2), we may state:

$$I=\frac{5}{4}\left(e^{w}-\frac{e^{w}}{2}\left(\sin(w)+\cos(w) \right) \right)+C$$

$$I=\frac{5}{8}e^{w}\left(2-\sin(w)-\cos(w) \right)+C$$

Back-substituting for $w$ and $I$, we have:

$$\int 5e^{2t}\sin^2(t)\,dt=\frac{5}{8}e^{2t}\left(2-\sin(2t)-\cos(2t) \right)+C$$

3.) We are given to evaluate:

$$I=\int -e^{2t}\cos^2(t)\,dt=\int e^{2t}\left(\sin^2(t)-1 \right)\,dt=\int e^{2t}\sin^2(t)\,dt-\int e^{2t}\,dt$$

Using the result of problem 2.) we may write:

$$I=\frac{1}{8}e^{2t}\left(2-\sin(2t)-\cos(2t) \right)-\frac{1}{2}e^{2t}+C$$

And so we conclude:

$$\int -e^{2t}\cos^2(t)\,dt=-\frac{1}{8}e^{2t}\left(2+\sin(2t)+\cos(2t) \right)+C$$