Animation I made last night of Mars

In summary, the speaker shared an animation of Mars taken over 5 hours, but due to its low altitude, the first picture was blurry. They plan to take more pictures in 2 weeks when Mars will be at a higher altitude. The speaker also took wide-angle photos and is still processing them. They mentioned alignment issues and oversaturation in the animation and plan to try again next week. They also shared photos of the North American Nebula and Orion's sword, taken with a 135mm lens and a DSI camera. The speaker expressed uncertainty about investing in a telescope or joining a club due to financial and scheduling concerns.
russ_watters
Mentor
Attahed is an animation I made last night of Mars. It's 4 images taken over about 5 hours. Since Mars was at 27 degrees altitude (about 7:35) when I took the first pic, it's pretty blurry. If I can, I'll try again in 2 weeks when it'll only be a little smaller, but will be at 40 degrees by that time.
In between shots of Mars, I took some wide-angle photos of a few other things. I'm still working on processing them...
edit: There were some alignment issues in the animation, plus I realized it was oversaturated and the color wasn't balanced right. I fixed it as best I could. I'm going to try again if I get a good night next week...

Attachments

• mars-ani.gif
    mars-ani.gif
    26.5 KB · Views: 542
Last edited:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
More from last Wednesday:

Both are with my 135mm f2.8 lens, piggybacked and my DSI.

First is the North American Nebula, minus Canada. I'll get the rest later. It's 20x90s.

Next is Orions sword, 20x60s. I need to learn to do masks so I can blend images at different exposures and bring out the dim details without washing out the bright ones...

Attachments

• nan-90.jpg
    nan-90.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 498
  • Orion-60.jpg
    Orion-60.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 516
Wow russ thanks for the images, I am still undecided (due to bills and scheduling) which way i should go, go out and get a $500ish telescope, take a trip out to eastern WA on a regular basis, or join the Seattle astronomy club. I'm thinking both, but with school coming up in January and me being on call at my job during the "off hours" who knows. But thank you for the wonderful pics.

1. What is the purpose of creating an animation of Mars?

The purpose of creating an animation of Mars is to provide a visual representation of the planet's surface and atmosphere. It can also serve as a tool for educational or scientific purposes, such as studying the planet's geography and weather patterns.

2. How accurate is the animation of Mars?

The accuracy of the animation depends on the data and information used to create it. If the animation is based on real data and scientific knowledge, it can be considered highly accurate. However, if it is purely for entertainment purposes, it may not be as precise.

3. Can the animation of Mars be used for research purposes?

Yes, the animation can be used for research purposes as long as it is based on reliable data and information. It can provide a visual aid for scientists to better understand the planet and its features.

4. How long did it take to create the animation of Mars?

The time it takes to create an animation of Mars can vary depending on the complexity of the animation and the skills of the animator. It could take anywhere from a few hours to several weeks or even months.

5. Will there be more animations of Mars in the future?

It is possible that there will be more animations of Mars in the future, especially as technology and scientific knowledge continue to advance. However, it ultimately depends on the interest and resources of those creating the animations.