Animation I made last night of Mars

  • Topic: Stargazing 
  • Thread starter Thread starter russ_watters
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Animation Mars
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 1K views
Messages
23,902
Reaction score
11,357
Attahed is an animation I made last night of Mars. It's 4 images taken over about 5 hours. Since Mars was at 27 degrees altitude (about 7:35) when I took the first pic, it's pretty blurry. If I can, I'll try again in 2 weeks when it'll only be a little smaller, but will be at 40 degrees by that time.
In between shots of Mars, I took some wide-angle photos of a few other things. I'm still working on processing them...
edit: There were some alignment issues in the animation, plus I realized it was oversaturated and the color wasn't balanced right. I fixed it as best I could. I'm going to try again if I get a good night next week...
 
Attachments
  • mars-ani.gif
    mars-ani.gif
    26.5 KB · Views: 655
Last edited:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
More from last Wednesday:

Both are with my 135mm f2.8 lens, piggybacked and my DSI.

First is the North American Nebula, minus Canada. I'll get the rest later. It's 20x90s.

Next is Orions sword, 20x60s. I need to learn to do masks so I can blend images at different exposures and bring out the dim details without washing out the bright ones...
 
Attachments
  • nan-90.jpg
    nan-90.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 583
  • Orion-60.jpg
    Orion-60.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 621
Wow russ thanks for the images, I am still undecided (due to bills and scheduling) which way i should go, go out and get a $500ish telescope, take a trip out to eastern WA on a regular basis, or join the Seattle astronomy club. I'm thinking both, but with school coming up in January and me being on call at my job during the "off hours" who knows. But thank you for the wonderful pics.