Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stargazing Animation I made last night of Mars

1. Nov 3, 2005 #1

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Attahed is an animation I made last night of Mars. It's 4 images taken over about 5 hours. Since Mars was at 27 degrees altitude (about 7:35) when I took the first pic, it's pretty blurry. If I can, I'll try again in 2 weeks when it'll only be a little smaller, but will be at 40 degrees by that time.
    In between shots of Mars, I took some wide-angle photos of a few other things. I'm still working on processing them...
    edit: There were some alignment issues in the animation, plus I realized it was oversaturated and the color wasn't balanced right. I fixed it as best I could. I'm going to try again if I get a good night next week...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 6, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 6, 2005 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

More from last Wednesday:

Both are with my 135mm f2.8 lens, piggybacked and my DSI.

First is the North American Nebula, minus Canada. I'll get the rest later. It's 20x90s.

Next is Orions sword, 20x60s. I need to learn to do masks so I can blend images at different exposures and bring out the dim details without washing out the bright ones...

Attached Files:

4. Nov 7, 2005 #3
    Wow russ thanks for the images, im still undecided (due to bills and scheduling) which way i should go, go out and get a $500ish telescope, take a trip out to eastern WA on a regular basis, or join the Seattle astronomy club. I'm thinking both, but with school coming up in January and me being on call at my job during the "off hours" who knows. But thank you for the wonderful pics.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook