Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Annihilation of shifted gaussian vs. nonshifted gaussian

1. Nov 11, 2015 #1
    Maybe a picture will help. http://chipreuben.com/annihilation-of-shifted-Gaussian.jpg [Broken]
    I get zero, both with the shifted and the non-shifted. Can anyone tell why the nonshifted should yield the ground state eigenfunction multiplied up by a constant? It seems the answer has to do with expanding in Fourier mode and then converting back to the distance domain...but I'm not sure.

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 12, 2015 #2

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

The most simple thing is to just check the equation. You've given the ground-state wave function (a Gaussian) and then you can simply apply the annihilation operator and check the given relation. That shows that the "shifted ground state" is a coherent state.

4. Nov 12, 2015 #3

samalkhaiat

Science Advisor

Okay, I’m going to work in units where [itex]\hbar = m = \omega = 1[/itex]. In this units, the momentum operator is simply
    [tex]p = \frac{i}{\sqrt{2}} \ (a^{\dagger} - a) . \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ (1)[/tex]
    Now, consider the translation operator, [itex]T(\epsilon) = \exp(- i \epsilon \ p)[/itex], whose action on coordinate state is given by [tex]T(\epsilon) | x \rangle = | x + \epsilon \rangle , \ \ \ \ \ \ (2)[/tex]
    and define a state [itex]|\Psi_{\epsilon} \rangle[/itex] by the action of [itex]T(\epsilon)[/itex] on the ground state [itex]|\Psi_{0}\rangle[/itex]:
    [tex]
    |\Psi_{\epsilon} \rangle = T(\epsilon) \ | \Psi_{0}\rangle . \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ (3)
    [/tex]
    By multiplying (3) from the left with [itex]\langle x|[/itex] and inserting the unit operator [itex]\int d \bar{x} |\bar{x}\rangle \langle \bar{x}| =1[/itex], we transfer (3) to a coordinate representation, i.e., equation between wave functions
    [tex]
    \langle x | \Psi_{\epsilon}\rangle = \int d \bar{x} \ \langle x | T(\epsilon) | \bar{x} \rangle \langle \bar{x}| \Psi_{0}\rangle . \ \ \ \ (4)
    [/tex]
    Using (2), we obtain
    [tex]
    \Psi_{\epsilon}(x) = \int d \bar{x} \ \langle x | \bar{x} + \epsilon \rangle \ \Psi_{0}(\bar{x}) . \ \ \ \ (5)
    [/tex]
    Now, change the integration variable [itex]\bar{x} = y - \epsilon[/itex], and use [itex]\langle x | y \rangle = \delta (x - y)[/itex] to obtain
    [tex]
    \Psi_{\epsilon}(x) = \int dy \ \langle x | y \rangle \ \Psi_{0}(y - \epsilon) = \Psi_{0}(x - \epsilon) . \ \ (6)
    [/tex]
    So, [itex]\Psi_{\epsilon}(x)[/itex] is the shifted ground state wavefunction [itex]\Psi_{0}(x - \epsilon)[/itex].

Okay, now go back to (3) and let the operator [itex]a[/itex] acts on it
    [tex]
    a \ |\Psi_{\epsilon}\rangle = a \ e^{- i \epsilon \ p} | \Psi_{0} \rangle . \ \ \ \ \ \ (7)
    [/tex]
    Since, [itex]a \ |\Psi_{0}\rangle = 0[/itex], we can replace the right-hand-side of (7) by the following commutator
    [tex]
    a \ |\Psi_{\epsilon}\rangle = \left[a \ , \ e^{- i \epsilon \ p} \right] | \ \Psi_{0} \rangle . \ \ \ \ \ \ \ (8)
    [/tex]
    If you now expand the exponential and use the relation
    [tex]
    [a \ , -i \epsilon \ p ] = \frac{\epsilon}{\sqrt{2}}\ [a \ , a^{\dagger}] = \frac{\epsilon}{\sqrt{2}} ,
    [/tex]
    you get
    [tex]
    \left[ a \ , e^{- i \epsilon \ p} \right] = \frac{\epsilon}{\sqrt{2}} \ e^{- i \epsilon \ p} . \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ (9)
    [/tex]
    Substituting (9) in (8), leads to
    [tex]
    a \ |\Psi_{\epsilon}\rangle = \frac{\epsilon}{\sqrt{2}} \ e^{- i \epsilon \ p} \ | \Psi_{0} \rangle = \frac{\epsilon}{\sqrt{2}} \ |\Psi_{\epsilon} \rangle . \ \ \ \ \ \ (10)
    [/tex]
    In wave function language, this becomes
    [tex]
    a \ \Psi_{\epsilon}(x) = \frac{\epsilon}{\sqrt{2}} \ \Psi_{\epsilon} (x) . \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ (11)
    [/tex]
    And finally using (6), i.e., [itex]\Psi_{\epsilon}(x) = \Psi_{0}(x - \epsilon)[/itex], we obtain
    [tex]
    a \ \Psi_{0}( x - \epsilon ) = \frac{\epsilon}{\sqrt{2}} \ \Psi_{0}( x - \epsilon ) . \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ (12)
    [/tex]
    Notice that setting [itex]\epsilon = 0[/itex] gives you back
    [tex]
    a \ \Psi_{0}(x) = 0 .
    [/tex]

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook