Anonymisation & Deletion of Old Data

• Thread starter Deleted member 74205
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about deactivating an account and removing old posts. It is mentioned that a moderator can deactivate the account and that the site usually does not delete old posts. However, in this case, they may make an exception due to the small number of posts. The person also asks if their posts will be anonymous if their account is closed or banned, but it is stated that this will not happen. They then ask if there is a way to anonymize their account or if an exception can be made for the deletion policy, which is approved.
Deleted member 74205
Hello,

Who should I speak to if I want my account to be deactivated, but also if I want my old posts removed?

Thanks,

Phil

Physics news on Phys.org
You generally cannot have any posts removed but you can ask a moderator to deactivate your account. Just click the "Report" button.

[moved to feedback]
We can ban on request; there is no other form of de-activation I'm aware of.

We don't usually delete old posts but in your case may be able to make an exception because the small number of posts means it wouldn't be very disruptive.

Hi Russ -

If my account is closed/locked/banned will that make my posts anonymous? If not, I would really rather they were deleted, and I would be extremely grateful.

I'm sorry to be a pain...

Shadowadler said:
If my account is closed/locked/banned will that make my posts anonymous?
It will not.

In that case, if there is a way of anonymising (e.g. renaming my account?) that would also be fine... but if you would be willing to make an exception this one time on the deletion policy I would be extremely grateful.

Request approved

1. What is anonymisation of data?

Anonymisation of data is the process of removing personally identifiable information from a dataset, making it impossible to link the data back to an individual. This is often done to protect the privacy of individuals and comply with data protection laws.

2. Why is anonymisation important?

Anonymisation is important because it helps protect the privacy of individuals and prevents sensitive information from being exposed. It also allows for the use of data for research purposes without violating ethical standards or data protection laws.

3. How is data anonymised?

Data can be anonymised through various techniques such as masking, generalisation, and pseudonymisation. These methods involve replacing personally identifiable information with non-identifying codes or values, while still allowing the data to be useful for analysis.

4. What is the difference between anonymisation and deletion of data?

Anonymisation and deletion of data are two different processes. Anonymisation involves removing personally identifiable information from a dataset, while deletion involves permanently removing the data from a system. Anonymisation allows for the continued use of data for research purposes, while deletion ensures that the data is no longer accessible.

5. When should old data be deleted?

Old data should be deleted when it is no longer needed or relevant for its intended purpose. This helps reduce the risk of data breaches and ensures compliance with data protection laws. It is important to have a clear data retention policy in place to determine when data should be deleted.