Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Another hobby

1. May 8, 2008 #1

wolram

Gold Member

I need an in door hobby to keep me busy, like making some thing, but i can not think of any thing worth making, it matters not what it is as long as it has a use or is entertaining, and the cost can be spread over several weeks/months.
    Any one have sensible/realistic ideas?

2. jcsd
  3. May 8, 2008 #2

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Carving wooden bowls? (That's what one of our recently retired faculty has been keeping himself busy doing...I don't know how much it costs to get all the tools for it though. They are pretty bowls.)

You could always learn to make quilts.

I dunno...I have trouble finding hobbies that make useful things too...usually you wind up with a ton of little something or anothers that just collect dust until you're sick of them and throw them out. Sometimes I make Christmas ornaments, either little wooden ones that you then paint, or beaded things or some such. At least then they're useful once a year (or you can give a lot of them away as gifts once a year anyway).

4. May 8, 2008 #3
    Paper models. All you need is a printer, paper, and glue.

5. May 8, 2008 #4
    Fiction writing. Or just writing in general.

6. May 8, 2008 #5
    Chain Maile armour!

7. May 8, 2008 #6
    a reef tank!

it's expensive, time consuming, and difficult! You'll love it, I know I do!

8. May 8, 2008 #7

wolram

Gold Member

I was thinking more on the lines of making one thing, may be mechanical/electronic, but a thing that is usefull or entertaining, building time can be months, the only other thing is it must not include expensive components, or the cost can be spread out.

9. May 8, 2008 #8

wolram

Gold Member

What is a reef tank Wesley?

10. May 8, 2008 #9
    basically a saltwater aquarium. You've got a lot to maintain/monitor, and the build is extensive, too. If you're into DIY, it can be a TON of fun.

11. May 8, 2008 #10
    Do you have kids Wolram?

Try puppetry (a marionette can become quite complicated) not to mention the home made puppet theater.

12. May 8, 2008 #11
    Make me a guitar.

13. May 8, 2008 #12

wolram

Gold Member

No kids, i live all on my Sweeny, and i am no good at arty stuff, good idea though.

14. May 8, 2008 #13

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

You need some imagination to choose YOUR hobby. Consider computer programming, or origami. Other paper constructions, like making wallets(need to use tough paper like market bags of paper).

15. May 8, 2008 #14

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Figure out something to make and start selling it on the internet. I don't know much about internet sales, but if you can come up with some quirky thing, you might make some money.

16. May 8, 2008 #15
    Maybe you should make music? Do everything through your computer.

17. May 8, 2008 #16
    You could try making an instriment, like a guitar, like poops said :biggrin: I hear they aren't too hard to make, lol.

18. May 8, 2008 #17
    get hardcore in chess

19. May 8, 2008 #18

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I wish the internet was around when my grandmother and I went nuts one summer making little poodles out of yarn pom-poms. Her house looked like a puppy mill for pom pom dogs. :uhh:

20. May 8, 2008 #19

wolram

Gold Member

I have a great idea for a horror film, but i bet MoonB and Evo are to busy.

21. May 8, 2008 #20

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ooh, it sounds like a good one...I'm already afraid to ask. :biggrin:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?