Another max value on surface (no boundaries)

In summary, you forgot to check x = 0 and your critical points were (1, 0) and (-1, 0). You then plugged in x = 0 into your y equation and got y = +-1.
Addez123
Homework Statement
$$f(x,y) = (x^2 +2y^2)e^{-x^2-y^2}$$
where
$$x, y \in R$$
Relevant Equations
Math
I've double-checked my equations and can't find what's wrong.
First I calculate the partials:
$$f_x = (2x - 2x^3 -4xy^2)e^{-x^2, -y^2}$$
$$f_y = (-2yx^2 + 4y - 4y^3)e^{-x^2, -y^2}$$

By setting f_x = 0 I get:
$$x^2 = 1 - 2y^2$$
Then I calculate f_y = 0
$$-2yx^2 + 4y - 4y^3 = 0$$
I plug in the results from f_x into my f_y equation and get
$$-2y(1 - 2y^2) + 4y - 4y^3 = 0 $$
$$y = 0 => x = +-1$$
So my critical points are (1, 0) and (-1, 0)
$$f(1,0) = e^-1$$

The answer is f(0, +-1) = 2e^-1

Again, have no idea how I missed this since this time I don't even have any boundaries to evaluate and the solution is not at infinite.

Physics news on Phys.org
Addez123 said:
By setting f_x = 0 I get:
You threw away ##x=0## for no reason !

##\ ##

Addez123 said:
So my critical points are (1, 0) and (-1, 0)
And then you don't check if they are extrema instead of saddle points !

[edit]just so you know: I'm not trying to be harsh, just try to help :smile: .

##\ ##

Last edited:
I did forget to check x = 0, but that yields $$y = 1/\sqrt{2}$$ which results in e^-1/2 so it's still not the maximum.

I didn't check for saddlepoints because I am just looking for max and min. If the value is the biggest value it can't be a saddle point eitherway (because I check the limits as x^2+y^2 = r approach infinity aswell).

Also no offence taken :) Feel free to call me stupid aslong as you provide a solution :p

Addez123 said:
I did forget to check x = 0, but that yields ##y = 1/\sqrt{2}## which results in e^-1/2 so it's still not the maximum.
If x = 0, and ##2y^2 = 2##, then both ##f_x## and ##f_y## are zero. Note that ##2y^2 = 2## has two solutions.

Likes Addez123
Addez123 said:
I did forget to check x = 0, but that yields $$y = 1/\sqrt{2}$$ which results in e^-1/2
Oh, does it :rolleyes: ? Can you show me ? I get something else, from
$$f_y = (-2yx^2 + 4y - 4y^3)e^{-x^2 -y^2}\Rightarrow\quad f_y = 0\quad \Leftrightarrow \ \ ...$$

I didn't check for saddlepoints because I am just looking for max and min.
I claim y = 0 yields a minimum (0,0) and two saddlepoints.

If the value is the biggest value it can't be a saddle point either way (because I check the limits as x^2+y^2 = r approach infinity aswell).
criteria for saddle points are ...

Also no offence taken :) Feel free to call me stupid as long as you provide a solution :p
Good. We'll get there.

Where are you in your curriculum ? (I have a reason for asking :wink: )

##\ ##

Likes Addez123
When looking at fx = 0, I deduct that x1 = 0
Continuing working on fx I get the expression
$$x^2 = 1 - 2y^2$$
I plug in my x1 = 0 into this and I get
$$y = 1/\sqrt{2}$$

If I plug in x = 0 into fy instead, then you get the equation $$4y -4y^3 = 0$$
and from there u get y = +-1

That was what I missed!
It was just not obvious since I plugged in the equation for x^2 into fy and never thought of testing x1 aswell!

I'm at maybe 3rd year of university, but I am just studying up a few courses I failed. I don't do school fulltime. What be the reason for asking?

Addez123 said:
What be the reason for asking?
I was wondering if I would do much harm if I showed you a kind of cheat:

On Wolframalpa you can enter the function expression :
(x^2+2y^2)exp(-(x^2+y^2))​
and it gives you a 3d plot and a contour plot of the function plus expressions for x and y derivatives, as well as a list of extrema
1639791258562.png

((x^2+2y^2)exp(-(x^2+y^2)))' gives you a 3d and a contour plot of the x derivative

d/dy ((x^2+2y^2)exp(-(x^2+y^2))) gives you a 3d and a contour plot of the y derivative

Nifty tool ! Didn't have that when I was in 3rd year, half a century ago :biggrin:

##\ ##

Likes Addez123
Hahah, I've been using that since day one xD
The answers are always in your book though. But yeah, wolfram is useful!

1. What is the meaning of "Another max value on surface (no boundaries)"?

"Another max value on surface (no boundaries)" refers to a situation where a surface or object has multiple points or areas that have the highest possible value, without any boundaries or limits.

2. How can another max value occur on a surface with no boundaries?

This can happen when the surface is not restricted by any edges or boundaries, allowing for multiple points or areas to reach the maximum value.

3. Is it common for surfaces to have multiple maximum values with no boundaries?

It depends on the specific surface and its properties. Some surfaces may have multiple maximum values, while others may have only one. Surfaces with no boundaries are more likely to have multiple maximum values.

4. What are the implications of having another max value on a surface with no boundaries?

This can have various implications, depending on the context. In some cases, it may indicate a more complex or irregular surface. It can also affect calculations or measurements, as there may be multiple points with the same maximum value.

5. How can we determine the exact location of the other max value on a surface with no boundaries?

This can be determined through mathematical calculations or by using specialized tools such as 3D scanners. It may also require further analysis and interpretation of the data to accurately pinpoint the location of the other max value.