Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Another notation for the dual space

1. Oct 7, 2007 #1

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

My professor uses the notation Hom(V,[itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex]) for the dual space of V. I usually see V* rather. What does the notation Hom(V,[itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex]) stands for exactly? I suppose the domain of Hom is wider than just (vector spaces) x (their field).

The notation suggest it is the set of homomorphisms btw V and R, but this would not accurately describe V* because we want the elements of V* to be linear fct, not just group homomorphisms (we need the f(av)=af(v) part of linear too).

So does the notation comes from a more category theory perspective, where linear maps are considered as "vector space homomorphisms" or something like that?

Just thoughts. I just wanna know what the general meaning for Hom is. Thx

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 7, 2007 #2

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What is the definition of the dual space that you have that is _not_ homs into the underlying field? Hom, in the category of vector spaces _means_ linear map. It is nothing to do with group homomorphisms.

4. Oct 7, 2007 #3

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The dual space of V to me is the vector space V* of all linear functions from V to its underlying field.

It's the first time I see the notation Hom being used for anything at all, so I am asking what it means in the most general context. Thank you.

5. Oct 7, 2007 #4

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hom(X, Y) is the object of all maps from X to Y.

The precise meaning of 'object' and 'map' depends on the context. In this case, 'object' means 'vector space' and 'map' means 'linear transformation'.

6. Oct 7, 2007 #5

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I should add...

Let T : Y->W and S : X->Z be linear.
    Hom(X, T) is the obvious map Hom(X, Y) -> Hom(X, W).
    Hom(S, Y) is the obvious map Hom(Z, Y) -> Hom(X, Y).
    Hom(S, T) is the obvious map Hom(Z, Y) -> Hom(X, W).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?