Another notation for the dual space

In summary, the notation Hom(V, \mathbb{R}) refers to the set of all linear maps from the vector space V to the field \mathbb{R}. This notation can also be used to denote the set of maps between any two objects in a given category. In this context, 'object' refers to 'vector space' and 'map' refers to 'linear transformation'. It is important to note that this notation may differ from the more commonly used V* notation for the dual space of V.
quasar987
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
My professor uses the notation Hom(V,[itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex]) for the dual space of V. I usually see V* rather. What does the notation Hom(V,[itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex]) stands for exactly? I suppose the domain of Hom is wider than just (vector spaces) x (their field).

The notation suggest it is the set of homomorphisms btw V and R, but this would not accurately describe V* because we want the elements of V* to be linear fct, not just group homomorphisms (we need the f(av)=af(v) part of linear too).

So does the notation comes from a more category theory perspective, where linear maps are considered as "vector space homomorphisms" or something like that?

Just thoughts. I just want to know what the general meaning for Hom is. Thx

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the definition of the dual space that you have that is _not_ homs into the underlying field? Hom, in the category of vector spaces _means_ linear map. It is nothing to do with group homomorphisms.

The dual space of V to me is the vector space V* of all linear functions from V to its underlying field.

It's the first time I see the notation Hom being used for anything at all, so I am asking what it means in the most general context. Thank you.

quasar987 said:
The dual space of V to me is the vector space V* of all linear functions from V to its underlying field.

It's the first time I see the notation Hom being used for anything at all, so I am asking what it means in the most general context. Thank you.

Hom(X, Y) is the object of all maps from X to Y.

The precise meaning of 'object' and 'map' depends on the context. In this case, 'object' means 'vector space' and 'map' means 'linear transformation'.

Hurkyl said:
Hom(X, Y) is the object of all maps from X to Y.

The precise meaning of 'object' and 'map' depends on the context. In this case, 'object' means 'vector space' and 'map' means 'linear transformation'.
I should add...

Let T : Y->W and S : X->Z be linear.
Hom(X, T) is the obvious map Hom(X, Y) -> Hom(X, W).
Hom(S, Y) is the obvious map Hom(Z, Y) -> Hom(X, Y).
Hom(S, T) is the obvious map Hom(Z, Y) -> Hom(X, W).

What is the dual space?

The dual space is a mathematical concept that is used in linear algebra to represent the set of all linear functionals on a vector space. It is essentially a space of linear transformations from the original vector space to the field of scalars.

What is another notation for the dual space?

The dual space is also commonly denoted as the "dual vector space" or the "algebraic dual space". These notations are used interchangeably and refer to the same mathematical concept.

What is the relationship between the dual space and the original vector space?

The dual space is closely related to the original vector space, as it is a space of linear transformations that map elements from the original vector space to the field of scalars. This relationship is often described as a "pairing" between the two spaces.

Why is the dual space important?

The dual space is important in mathematics and physics because it allows us to study the properties of vector spaces through their associated dual spaces. It is also used in the development of mathematical concepts such as tensors and function spaces.

How is the dual space defined?

The dual space is defined as the set of all linear functionals on a vector space. A linear functional is a linear transformation that maps elements from the vector space to the field of scalars. This definition allows for the dual space to have its own vector operations and properties.