Null space of dual map of T = annihilator of range T

• Thread starter zenterix
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dual basis
zenterix
Homework Statement
Theorem 3.107 (Linear Algebra Done Right)

Suppose ##V## and ##W## are finite-dimensional and ##T\in L(V,W)##. Then

(a) null T' = (range ##T)^0##
Relevant Equations
I would like to understand item (a) in an intuitive, descriptive way.

There are multiple concepts involved and all are quite abstract. I would like to go over them in my own words before speaking of the theorem in question.

In what follows I do so and end with my understanding of the presented theorem.
Consider the concepts of dual space, dual basis, dual map, and annihilator.

Given a linear map ##T\in L(V,W)##, the dual space of ##T## is the vector space ##V'=L(V,\mathbb{F})## where ##\mathbb{F}## is a field.

Note that given any basis ##v_1, ..., v_n## of ##V##, each distinct linear functional in ##V'## maps the basis vectors ##v_i## in a unique way to scalars in ##\mathbb{F}##.

Consider the ##n## linear functionals defined as

$$\phi_j(v_i)=\begin{cases} 1, \text{ if } i=j \\ 0 \text{ otherwise } \end{cases}$$

for ##j=1,...,n##.

It isn't difficult to see that each linear functional in ##V'## is a linear combination of these ##n## ##\phi_j## linear functionals.

In addition, it can be shown that the ##\phi_j##'s are linearly independent and so are a basis for ##V'##.

We call them the dual basis of ##v_1, ..., v_n## and they are a basis of ##V'##.

Next let's consider what a dual map is. I find this concept to be the most difficult to grasp so far in linear algebra.

Given a linear map ##T\in L(V,W)##, the dual map of ##T## is a specific linear map in ##L(W',V')##, namely ##T'\in L(W',V')## defined by

$$T'(\phi)=\phi\circ T, \text{ for } \phi \in W'\tag{1}$$

Let me try to understand this.

The vectors in the vector space ##L(W', V')## are linear maps that map a linear functional in ##L(W,\mathbb{F})## to a linear functional in ##L(V,\mathbb{F})##.

One specific of these linear maps in ##L(W',V')## is the dual map of ##T\in L(V,W)##.

It is the linear map that maps a ##\phi\in L(W,\mathbb{F})## to ##\phi\circ T##.

##\phi\circ T## is a linear map that maps ##V## to ##W## and then ##W## to ##\mathbb{F}## and thus is in ##V'##.

Next, consider the concept of annihilator.

Given a vector space ##V## and a subset ##U\subset V##, the annihilator of ##U## is the set of all vectors in ##V'## (ie, linear functionals in ##L(V,\mathbb{F})##) that map ##U## (ie every vector in ##U##) to 0.

The annihilator of ##U## is denoted ##U^0## and is a subspace of ##V'##.

Now we get to an extra layer of abstraction.

Consider the null space of the dual map ##T'##.

Since ##T'\in L(W',V')## then its null space is a subspace of ##W'##.

There is a theorem that says that this null space is the same as the annihilator of the range of ##T##.

##T\in L(V,W)## so the range of ##T## is a subspace of ##W##.

The annihilator of range ##T## is then a subspace of ##W'## (the linear functionals in ##W'## that map range ##T## to 0).

The claim in bold above is that the linear functionals mapped by ##T'## to 0 (that is, the linear functionals ##\phi## such that ##\phi\circ T=0##) are the exact same linear functionals that annihilate the range of ##T##.

Now that I wrote it and thought about it more it finally made clicked and made sense:

Since the dual map is formed by functionals that take a ##v\in V## pass it through ##T## to get a ##w\in \text{range} T## and then pass that through a functional ##\phi## in ##W'##, this can only be zero always if the functional ##\phi## is in the annihilator subspace. Thus, any such ##\phi## in the null space of ##T'## is in the annihilator of range ##T##.

Last edited:

What is the null space of the dual map of T?

The null space of the dual map of T is the set of all vectors in the domain of the dual map that get mapped to zero under the dual map of T.

What is the annihilator of the range of T?

The annihilator of the range of T is the set of all linear functionals that map the range of T to zero.

How are the null space of the dual map of T and the annihilator of the range of T related?

The null space of the dual map of T is the same as the annihilator of the range of T. This is a fundamental property of dual maps in linear algebra.

Why is the concept of the null space of the dual map of T important?

Understanding the null space of the dual map of T can provide insight into the properties of the original linear map T and its range.

How can the null space of the dual map of T be calculated in practice?

The null space of the dual map of T can be calculated by finding the kernel of the dual map, which involves solving a system of linear equations. Alternatively, it can be found by determining the linear functionals that map the range of T to zero.