Another question about bell inequality

In summary, the Bell experiment involves choosing an axis of polarization for one entangled particle, which then effectively randomizes the other particle's polarization. Despite being far apart, the two particles remain correlated in their polarization, even when measured over many particles. This is similar to an interference fringe experiment with double/multiple slits, but measuring polarization angle instead of amplitude. The Bell experiment is considered more definitive than a double slit because it addresses the EPR attack on Quantum Mechanics and demonstrates the non-locality of entangled particles.
mes314159
I imagine that some topics and questions keep reappearing since it is hard to track through all past posts even with the query tool. So apologies if this has been covered before (as it probably has). I just want to check my intuitive understanding of the Bell experiment, having heard an excellent lecture by Alain Aspect here in Montreal recently. If I understand correctly, the key to the experimental test is that one chooses an axis of polarization for one of a pair of entangled particles (or photons), and that choice effectively randomizes the other axes for that particle. However the other particle is far away and cannot obviously know which axis in 3-dimensions was chosen for the first particle. Thus the second particle should be randomized in all three dimensions, but in fact it is not (that is, they are not when experimentally measured over many particles), it/they remain correlated with respect to the chosen axis (with appropriate corrections for geometry of the apparatus etc). Is this a reasonable very non-mathematical statement of the experiment and results? If so, it seems pretty much the same as an interference fringe experiment with double/multiple slits, measuring polarization angle rather than simply amplitude. If so, why is the Bell experiment usually presented as more definitive than a double slit? Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
mes314159 said:
1. I imagine that some topics and questions keep reappearing since it is hard to track through all past posts even with the query tool. So apologies if this has been covered before (as it probably has). I just want to check my intuitive understanding of the Bell experiment, having heard an excellent lecture by Alain Aspect here in Montreal recently. If I understand correctly, the key to the experimental test is that one chooses an axis of polarization for one of a pair of entangled particles (or photons), and that choice effectively randomizes the other axes for that particle. However the other particle is far away and cannot obviously know which axis in 3-dimensions was chosen for the first particle. Thus the second particle should be randomized in all three dimensions, but in fact it is not (that is, they are not when experimentally measured over many particles), it/they remain correlated with respect to the chosen axis (with appropriate corrections for geometry of the apparatus etc). Is this a reasonable very non-mathematical statement of the experiment and results?

2. If so, it seems pretty much the same as an interference fringe experiment with double/multiple slits, measuring polarization angle rather than simply amplitude. If so, why is the Bell experiment usually presented as more definitive than a double slit? Thanks in advance!

Welcome to PhysicsForums, mes314159!

1. Yes, well said. Must say I am jealous that you saw Aspect, he is one of my heroes and I have not had the opportunity to see him.

2. I don't exactly see the direct connection here, although I see an indirect one.

The Bell idea followed EPR's ingenious attack on Quantum Mechanics. That requires a way to predict spin with certainty at any angle, something that is not possible with a single particle. But is possible with a pair of suitably entangled particles.

1. What is Bell's inequality and how does it relate to quantum mechanics?

Bell's inequality is a mathematical expression that was developed by physicist John Stewart Bell in the 1960s. It is used to test whether or not quantum mechanics can explain certain phenomena, such as the correlations between particles in entangled states. If Bell's inequality is violated, it suggests that quantum mechanics is a more accurate description of reality than classical physics.

2. How was the Bell inequality experiment conducted?

The Bell inequality experiment involves measuring the correlation between two entangled particles, such as photons. This is typically done by splitting the entangled particles and measuring their properties, such as their spin, in different orientations. The results of these measurements are then compared to the predictions of Bell's inequality.

3. What were the results of the Bell inequality experiment?

The Bell inequality experiment has been conducted numerous times by different research groups, and the results consistently violate Bell's inequality. This suggests that quantum mechanics is a more accurate description of reality than classical physics, as predicted by Bell's inequality.

4. What are the implications of Bell's inequality for our understanding of the universe?

The violation of Bell's inequality has significant implications for our understanding of the universe. It suggests that there are non-local interactions between particles, meaning that the behavior of one particle can affect the behavior of another particle instantaneously, regardless of the distance between them. This challenges our traditional understanding of causality and the concept of locality in physics.

5. How is Bell's inequality relevant to everyday life?

Bell's inequality may seem like a complex and abstract concept, but it has practical applications in modern technology. For example, the principles of quantum mechanics and Bell's inequality are used in technologies such as quantum computing and cryptography. These technologies have the potential to greatly advance fields such as data encryption and secure communication.