Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

ANSYS RBE3 command vs Contact Wizard

1. Jan 27, 2010 #1
    Hello all,

Just thought I would throw this one out there.

Who preferes to use the RBE3 command to automatically create a set of constraint equations and who prefers to use the Contact Wizard?

I used to use the Contact Wizard but I recently got burned by it, so I switched to using the RBE3 command, which isn't the most pleasant command either but hey it's ANSYS.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Mattt

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 28, 2010 #2

minger

Science Advisor

I've personally never used RBE3s. I've either used MPC connections or CE/CPs. Do RBE3s have an advantage being nodal over MPCs (surface based)?

4. Jan 29, 2010 #3
    I am not sure is there is an actual advantage. I do know that using constraint equations with a large number of nodes can cause some inefficiency in the solution time.

In version 12.1 you have to use a parameter array for the slave nodes. A component will not work.

Thanks
    Matt

5. Jan 29, 2010 #4

minger

Science Advisor

I see that RBE3s are force-distributed rather than directly "coupled". This could things like applying moments probably more accurate. The thing about the parameter array is kinda dumb though. Why?

6. Jan 29, 2010 #5
    I am not sure. I had to call tech support because I didn't know you had to use a parameter array either. You can use components for every other command. I made a short text file that can be used for the job. It is a modification of the one that the tech support group sent me.

Let me know if you want it.

Thanks
    Matt

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook