Ansys workbench-spring with variable stiffness

In summary: EXITIn summary, Maral is simulating a 1 dof spring-mass model in ANSYS Workbench and needs to change the spring stiffness at every substep based on an "if condition". They also need to get the spring force result at every substep and are looking for help on how to achieve this. The conversation also includes a suggested method for modeling load dependent roller bearing stiffness and a code example provided by Maral for reference.
maral
Hello every body,
I am simulating a 1 dof spring-mass model in ansys workbench. I need to change the stiffness of spring at every substep based on an "if condition". It means that, in every substep, if a specified condition is satisfied, the stiffness will be changed to a defined value.
Also, I need to get spring force result in every substep.
Any help will be soooo much appreciated.
Looking forward to hearing back from you.
Regards,
Maral

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi Maral,

step 1:

u need to solve the Analysis for a load step

Step 2:

go to /post26 set the time at last load step and get the spring reaction force with "rforce" command

Step 3:

do what you got to do in sense of Compairing the reaction force with "if" command and use "emodif" command to modify the spring stiffness

Step 4:

go back to /solu and restart the analysis using antype,trans or harm,restart (it is important to restart the analysis, else the next load step will ignore your last load step results,...)i assume u want to model load dependent roller bearing stiffness, i think this method will work altough i have not tried it myself yet...Regards

Behnam
Sent from my iPad using Physics Forums

Thank you behnam.
The problem is that Restart command results in returning the stiffness value to its initial value after the if condition satisfies and the spring stiffness changes to the specified value(here zero).
I add my code at the end of this message.
I wonder if there is a way to solve this problem. I need to change the spring stiffness at a critical value of force and have the force matrix at all substep of all loadsteps in post processor.
I would be very appreciated if you can help me.
Best Regards
*DO,SCF,.5,4,.5
/prep7
! -------------------------- spring element ------------------------
TYPE, 2
MAT, 1
REAL, 1
ESYS, 0
SECNUM,
TSHAP,LINE
!*
/go
!--------------------------- Element 141 ----------------------------
*IF,COUNT,EQ,0,THEN
FLST,2,2,1
FITEM,2,70
FITEM,2,34
E,P51X
*ELSEIF,CSP1,EQ,2,THEN
ESEL,S, , , 141
FLST,2,1,2,ORDE,1
FITEM,2,141
EMODIF,P51X,REAL,2,
ESEL,all
*ENDIF
!--------------------------- Element 142 -----------------------------
*IF,COUNT,EQ,0,THEN
FLST,2,2,1
FITEM,2,69
FITEM,2,36
E,P51X
*ELSEIF,CSP2,EQ,2,THEN
ESEL,S, , , 142
FLST,2,1,2,ORDE,1
FITEM,2,142
EMODIF,P51X,REAL,2,
ESEL,all
*ENDIF
! ---------------------------- Element 143 ----------------------------
*IF,COUNT,EQ,0,THEN
FLST,2,2,1
FITEM,2,71
FITEM,2,32
E,P51X
*ELSEIF,CSP3,EQ,2,THEN
ESEL,S, , , 143
FLST,2,1,2,ORDE,1
FITEM,2,143
EMODIF,P51X,REAL,2,
ESEL,all
*ENDIF

! ewrite,file,txt,,1, ! writting elements properties
FINISH
! ------------------------- End of preprocessor -------------------------

!---------------------------------- Solve -------------------------------
/SOL

ANTYPE,0
NLGEOM,1
nropt,full ! it should be deactivated if edele command use instead of ekill
NSUBST,20,0,0
AUTOTS,0
!OUTRES,ERASE
!OUTRES,ALL,AL

! ------------------------------- Time step 1 ---------------------------
*IF,COUNT,eq,0,THEN
TIME,1
*ENDIF
!---------------------------- Other time steps --------------------------
*IF,COUNT,ge,1,THEN
parsave,all,mld
ANTYPE,,RESTART
parres,,mld
ss=CSP2+1
AAA=COUNT+1
TIME, AAA
*ENDIF
COUNT=COUNT+1
!------------------------- Applying boundary conditions -----------------
FLST,2,21,1,ORDE,2
FITEM,2,1
FITEM,2,-21
!*
/GO
D,P51X, , , , , ,ALL, , , , ,
FLST,2,11,1,ORDE,2
FITEM,2,64
FITEM,2,-74
!*
/GO
D,P51X, , , , , ,UY, , , , ,
FLST,2,1,1,ORDE,1
FITEM,2,99
!*
/GO
F,P51X,FX,1*SCF

! /STATUS,SOLU
SOLVE
*status
! ------------------------------ End of Solution -------------------------

/post1

!-------------------------- Force in element 141 -------------------------
ESEL,S, , , 141
ETABLE,FSP141,SMISC,1
*get,F141(COUNT),ELEM,141,ETAB,FSP141
esel,all
!-------------------------- Force in element 142 -------------------------
ESEL,S, , , 142
ETABLE,FSP142,SMISC,1
*get,F142(COUNT),ELEM,142,ETAB,FSP142
esel,all
!-------------------------- Force in element 143 -------------------------
ESEL,S, , , 143
ETABLE,FSP143,SMISC,1
*get,F143(COUNT),ELEM,143,ETAB,FSP143
esel,all
! -------------------------- Checking conditions -------------------------
*IF,CSP2,NE,2,THEN
*IF,F142(COUNT),GT,2,THEN
CSP2=2
!ESEL,S, , , 142
!FLST,2,1,2,ORDE,1
!FITEM,2,142
!EMODIF,P51X,REAL,2,
*ENDIF
*ENDIF
FINISH
/PREP7
ewrite,file,txt,,1,
FINISH
*ENDDO

1. What is Ansys Workbench?

Ansys Workbench is a computer-aided engineering (CAE) software used for simulating and analyzing various engineering problems, such as structural, thermal, and fluid dynamics problems. It allows for the creation of complex models, simulations, and optimizations to aid in the design and development of products.

2. What is a spring with variable stiffness?

A spring with variable stiffness is a type of spring that can change its stiffness or spring rate (i.e. the amount of force required to compress or stretch the spring) in response to external factors such as load or displacement. This type of spring is often used in applications where the load or conditions vary, and a constant stiffness spring would not be suitable.

3. How does Ansys Workbench simulate a spring with variable stiffness?

Ansys Workbench uses finite element analysis (FEA) to simulate a spring with variable stiffness. This involves dividing the spring into small elements and applying mathematical equations to calculate the stress and strain in each element under different loading conditions. The resulting data is then used to determine the stiffness of the spring at different points, allowing for a more accurate simulation of its behavior.

4. What are the benefits of using Ansys Workbench for simulating a spring with variable stiffness?

There are several benefits to using Ansys Workbench for simulating a spring with variable stiffness. Firstly, it allows for a more accurate and detailed analysis of the spring's behavior under different loading conditions. This can help in optimizing the design and identifying potential issues before the spring is physically manufactured. Additionally, Ansys Workbench allows for the simulation of complex geometry and material properties, which is often not possible with hand calculations.

5. Can Ansys Workbench be used to optimize the design of a spring with variable stiffness?

Yes, Ansys Workbench has optimization capabilities that can be used to optimize the design of a spring with variable stiffness. This involves setting design parameters and objectives, and the software will use algorithms to automatically adjust the design until the desired performance is achieved. This can help in finding the most efficient and effective design for a spring with variable stiffness.