Antibiotic resistant super bug quickly spreading in U.S. and Canada.

• Thread starter The_Absolute
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bug Canada
In summary: I didn't say it didn't warrant attention?In summary, a deadly airborne fungus with a 25% mortality rate is spreading quickly in the United States and Canada. It is immune to antibiotics and can also infect animals. While some believe it is being exaggerated, the mortality rate is still concerning and the means of transmission are not fully understood.
The_Absolute
http://chattahbox.com/health/2010/04/24/deadly-airborne-fungus-spreading-fast-kills-one-out-of-four/

A bizarre airborne fungus which has a mortality rate of 25% is spreading quickly in the United and Canada. Apparently it is completely immune to the effects of antibiotics, and there is no known way of treating it.

It kills One in every Four, even if it's victim is young and healthy.

It can also infect animals including cats and dogs.

This is far more serious than the swine flu, which was very similar to the seasonal human influenza and a mortality rate of around 2%.

Containment/quarantine is impossible.

Biology news on Phys.org
Evo said:
This has already been discussed as scare mongering. There is really not much to be concerned about.

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=397647

Is this fungal pathogen spread as easily as the common cold, or influenza? Are we going to see an explosion of Thousands of new cases in the coming weeks and months?

heh... evolution in action. It's resistant to amphotericin B because of the polysaccharide encapsulation.

Is this illness passed on from person to person? Like influenza? If so, then we have a mighty serious problem on our hands...

No one knows how it is passed, other then its presumed to be inhaled.
They have not even been able to contain a live sample, from out of doors, they just can't find it.
With affected rates of 20 per million{over 5 years}, population and death rates of 8 people per million{over 5 years}, means you almost have no chance of dieing from this.

hypatia said:
No one knows how it is passed, other then its presumed to be inhaled.
They have not even been able to contain a live sample, from out of doors, they just can't find it.
With affected rates of 20 per million{over 5 years}, population and death rates of 8 people per million{over 5 years}, means you almost have no chance of dieing from this.

If this fungal pathogen, whatever it's called, is both airborne, and capable of human to human transmission, and has a 25% mortality rate, we do indeed have a dire problem on our hands.

Just as if the Ebola virus (fatality rate 90-100%) were to mutate into an airborne strain and sweep across the entire world. But all of the current strains of the Ebola virus can only be transmitted much like HIV, through direct physical contact with infected biological material such as blood.

The consequences of an airborne mutation of hemorrhagic fever would be absolutely catastrophic, world-wide.

I think the means of how deadly diseases are transmitted are far more serious than any other factor. Just like this fungus thing.

*25% mortality rate.
*Airborne.
*May or may not be capable of human to human transmission?

From the article:
“Symptoms can appear two or more months after exposure. Most people never develop symptoms, but those infected may have a cough lasting weeks, sharp chest pain, shortness of breath, headache related to meningitis, fever, nighttime sweats and weight loss.”
(emphasis mine).

So, it's not really a 25% mortality rate. Maybe 25% of those who show symptoms serious enough to go to a doctor and get diagnosed may die, but definitely not 25% of those exposed. Likely the immune systems of most healthy people are able to fight off the pathogen, explaining why most people never show symptoms.

Ygggdrasil said:
From the article: (emphasis mine).

So, it's not really a 25% mortality rate. Maybe 25% of those who show symptoms serious enough to go to a doctor and get diagnosed may die, but definitely not 25% of those exposed. Likely the immune systems of most healthy people are able to fight off the pathogen, explaining why most people never show symptoms.

I wonder what's considered as 'most'? From what I saw the other day when I was at the doctors office people go to visit the doctor for veryyy very mild symptoms so it would surprise me if it meant 'majority of people'. However I think 25% mortality rate of known infections is high enough to warrant concern... especially if it is airborne.

Evo, what did you mean when you said it's just 'scare mongering?' I think people are being unfair and super critical of the WHO and other health organizations because of how 'mild' particular outbreaks were.

zomgwtf said:
From what I saw the other day when I was at the doctors office people go to visit the doctor for veryyy very mild symptoms so it would surprise me if it meant 'majority of people'.

That most of the people in the doctor's office have very mild symptoms does not imply that most people with very mild symptoms go to the doctor's office (esp. considering a significant portion of the US population does not have access to a GP).

zomgwtf said:
I wonder what's considered as 'most'? From what I saw the other day when I was at the doctors office people go to visit the doctor for veryyy very mild symptoms so it would surprise me if it meant 'majority of people'. However I think 25% mortality rate of known infections is high enough to warrant concern... especially if it is airborne.

Evo, what did you mean when you said it's just 'scare mongering?' I think people are being unfair and super critical of the WHO and other health organizations because of how 'mild' particular outbreaks were.
Did you read the link I posted to the other thread?

Ygggdrasil said:
That most of the people in the doctor's office have very mild symptoms does not imply that most people with very mild symptoms go to the doctor's office (esp. considering a significant portion of the US population does not have access to a GP).
I live in Canada, everyone has access to a GP. It is true that not everyone would go but I don't see why that matters. 25% is still quite a high mortality rate.

Evo said:
Did you read the link I posted to the other thread?

Yeah I did read it, and nothing in the article leads me to believe that this fungus doesn't warrant attention. I don't see your point in asking me this when I specifically asked you why you said what you said... you've answered nothing of my question.

It's new, it's pretty deadly, and it has the ability to possibly spread and we are not sure how to deal with it. = Warrants concern. Should you go out and buy a hazmat suit and prepare to lock yourself up? No... but who said anything of the sort??

Please read this information:
"This is an extremely rare condition, and it's also rare that people who have been exposed to this particular fungus end up getting disease from it," Dr. Hedberg said. Although physicians and the public should be aware of the fungus and the symptoms of infection, she said, "this is never going to be a very common condition."

Although C. gattii has been found in a North Carolina man who had traveled to San Francisco several months earlier, experts say that the fungus is not readily passed between people (or people and animals), and it's therefore unlikely that it will spread across the continent via plane or other travel.

http://edition.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/04/22/killer.fungus.pacific.northwest/index.html"

Last edited by a moderator:
Monique said:
Please read this information:

So it cannot be transmitted from person to person?

The_Absolute said:
So it cannot be transmitted from person to person?
"...not readily..."

zomgwtf said:
Yeah I did read it, and nothing in the article leads me to believe that this fungus doesn't warrant attention.
1. It infects (enough to see a doctor) single-digit numbers of people a year.
From the CNN source:
2. "Overall it's a pretty low threat, and it's still uncommon in the area..."
3. "...this is never going to be a very common condition..."
4. "In fact, he says, if this fungus follows previous patterns, it's very possible that the virulence will decline with time."

1. What is an antibiotic resistant super bug?

An antibiotic resistant super bug is a type of bacteria that has evolved to be resistant to one or more antibiotics, making it difficult or impossible to treat with traditional antibiotics.

2. How is the super bug spreading so quickly in the U.S. and Canada?

The super bug is spreading quickly due to a combination of factors, including overuse and misuse of antibiotics, international travel, and inadequate sanitation and hygiene practices.

3. What makes this super bug different from other types of bacteria?

This super bug has acquired genes that make it resistant to multiple types of antibiotics, making it much more difficult to treat and control.

4. Is the super bug a serious threat to public health?

Yes, the super bug is a serious threat to public health because it can cause infections that are difficult to treat and can lead to severe illness or even death.

5. What can be done to stop the spread of the super bug?

To stop the spread of the super bug, it is important to use antibiotics responsibly, practice good hygiene, and develop new antibiotics and alternative treatments. It is also crucial for healthcare facilities to implement strict infection control measures to prevent the spread of the super bug.