Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Anticommuting Ring that only has left or right inverse?

1. Nov 29, 2007 #1
    as the title says i´m looking for an example of a ring witch has only one sided inverses e.g left or right sided ones -> a*b=1 does not imply b*a =1!

thanks for your advice :)
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 30, 2007 #2
  4. Nov 30, 2007 #3
    cool thanks :)
    Do you know if there is also one with 0 and 1 ?
  5. Nov 30, 2007 #4
    Sorry, my mistake. What I've posted is an example of ring with only one-sided unity :-(
    I've tried UTFG, here's an example from the book Tsit-Yuen Lam: A First Course in Noncommutative Rings

Many rings satisfying some form of "finiteness conditions" can be shown to be Dedekind-finite, but there do exist non-Dedekind-finite rings. For instance, let V be the k-vector space [tex]ke_1\oplus ke_2\oplus\ldots[/tex] with a countably infinite basis [tex]\{e_i; i\ge1\}[/tex] over the field k, and let [tex]R=\textrm{End}_k V[/tex] be the k-algebra of all vector space endomorphisms of V. If [tex]a,b\in R[/tex] are defined on the basis by
    [tex]$b(e_i)=e_{i+1}$[/tex] for all [tex]i\ge1[/tex] and
    [tex]$a(e_1)=0, a(e_i)=e_{i-1}$[/tex] for all [tex]i\ge2[/tex],
    the clearly [tex]ab=1\ne ba[/tex] so [tex]a[/tex] is right-invertible without being eft-invertible, and R gives an example of a non-Dedekind-finite ring.
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?