Anticommuting Ring that only has left or right inverse?

In summary, the conversation is about looking for an example of a ring with only one-sided inverses and whether there is one with 0 and 1. The person asking the question is referred to a link that provides an example, but it is later corrected that the example is actually of a ring with only one-sided unity. Another example is given from a book, showing that there exist non-Dedekind-finite rings.
Mr.Brown
Hi
as the title says i´m looking for an example of a ring witch has only one sided inverses e.g left or right sided ones -> a*b=1 does not imply b*a =1!

thanks for your advice :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Mr.Brown said:
Hi
as the title says i´m looking for an example of a ring witch has only one sided inverses e.g left or right sided ones -> a*b=1 does not imply b*a =1!

thanks for your advice :)
What about this http://planetmath.org/encyclopedia/KleinFourRing.html"

Last edited by a moderator:
cool thanks :)
Do you know if there is also one with 0 and 1 ?

Mr.Brown said:
cool thanks :)
Do you know if there is also one with 0 and 1 ?
Sorry, my mistake. What I've posted is an example of ring with only one-sided unity :-(
I've tried UTFG, here's an example from the book Tsit-Yuen Lam: A First Course in Noncommutative Rings

Many rings satisfying some form of "finiteness conditions" can be shown to be Dedekind-finite, but there do exist non-Dedekind-finite rings. For instance, let V be the k-vector space [tex]ke_1\oplus ke_2\oplus\ldots[/tex] with a countably infinite basis [tex]\{e_i; i\ge1\}[/tex] over the field k, and let [tex]R=\textrm{End}_k V[/tex] be the k-algebra of all vector space endomorphisms of V. If [tex]a,b\in R[/tex] are defined on the basis by
[tex]$b(e_i)=e_{i+1}$[/tex] for all [tex]i\ge1[/tex] and
[tex]$a(e_1)=0, a(e_i)=e_{i-1}$[/tex] for all [tex]i\ge2[/tex],
the clearly [tex]ab=1\ne ba[/tex] so [tex]a[/tex] is right-invertible without being eft-invertible, and R gives an example of a non-Dedekind-finite ring.

Last edited:

1. What is an anticommuting ring?

An anticommuting ring is a mathematical structure that follows the same rules as a traditional algebraic ring, except that its elements do not commute with each other. This means that the order in which you multiply the elements matters.

2. What is a left inverse in an anticommuting ring?

A left inverse in an anticommuting ring is an element that, when multiplied on the left by another element, results in the identity element.

3. What is a right inverse in an anticommuting ring?

A right inverse in an anticommuting ring is an element that, when multiplied on the right by another element, results in the identity element.

4. Can an anticommuting ring have both a left and right inverse?

Yes, an anticommuting ring can have both a left and right inverse. However, it is not guaranteed that every element in the ring will have both a left and right inverse.

5. What is the significance of an anticommuting ring that only has left or right inverse?

An anticommuting ring that only has left or right inverse is known as a division ring. This means that every nonzero element in the ring has both a left and right inverse, making it a useful tool for solving certain types of equations in mathematics and physics.