Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Antimatter gravity hypothesis-question

1. Oct 13, 2008 #1
    From what I've seen, the possibility of matter-antimatter to mutually repel each other is ruled out, but, can the following hypothesis be ruled out? :

Gravity --> A property of matter & antimatter (not of mass)
    Matter gravity --> A "force" that pulls "everything"
    Antimatter gravity --> A "force" that repels "everything"

If this is not ruled out, then:

In the beggining of the universe, a gravitational effect like this, would make the concetration of matter higher at the center of the tiny universe "globe", while antimatter would mainly concetrate far from it. Therefore there would be 3 types of reactions :

Energy ---> Matter + Antimatter
    Matter + Antimatter ---> Energy
    Mass ---> Energy

Since more matter than antimatter would be at the center (hotter area), the matter mass would disappear at higher rates than the antimatter mass and we would therefore have more antimatter than matter as a total. As matter kept decaying at higher rates into energy due to its gravitational effect, the "repel forces" of the antimatter gravity were becoming more dominant, pushing the universe to expand.

And so, the current situation would be:

1) Antimatter is more than matter.
    2) Matter continous to decay into energy due to its gravitational effect, and therefore antimatter keeps becoming increasingly dominant
    3) We can't detect the antimatter because of its gravitational effect that makes it spread through the entire universe in the form of single individual particles
    4) Dark Energy probably is the gravitational effect of this antimatter

What do you think of it?
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 13, 2008 #2

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Electrons and anti-electron (positrons) repel each other electrically.
    Gravity caused by anti-matter is attractive, just like for matter.
    Sorry, it doesn't work.

Also, take a look at the the Physics Forums rules,

which, in part, state
  4. Oct 13, 2008 #3

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You got that wrong. Being of opposite charge, they attract!
  5. Oct 13, 2008 #4
    I was refering to gravitational "forces" only.

Your opinion. I fail to see any experimental evidence confirming this.

I was unaware of such a rule. Since this is the case, sorry to bother your forum.
  6. Oct 13, 2008 #5

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Of course! :rofl: Anti-electrons and normal matter protons repel.

And anit-matter is still a source of attractive gravity.
  7. Oct 14, 2008 #6

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2015 Award

A photon is it's own antiparticle. So if gravity is repulsive for antimatter, there should be no effect on photons. But photons are bent by gravity - this was first shown in 1919.
  8. Oct 14, 2008 #7
    I didn't say gravity is repulsive for antimatter. I said the antimatter gravity could be repulsive. I'll give some examples of what I mean:

- An antihydrogen atom created on earth would fall downwards practically with the same g as ordinary matter, because the attractive gravitational effect of earth is considerably higher than the repulsive effect it would create.
    - A hydrogen atom and and an antihydrogen atom would neither attract nor repel, as their gravitational "forces" would cancel each other.
    - 2 antihydrogen atoms would repel each other
    - 2 hydrogen atoms would attract 1 antihydrogen atom with a force twice as great as the antihydrogen atom would repel them
  9. Oct 14, 2008 #8

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I guess you made all this up. There is nothing in current physics theory to justify any of it.
  10. Oct 14, 2008 #9
    I know there isn't. If you look at the topics title, I did post this "hypothetically" and my question was if there is any experimental data that rules it out, because I looked for it and failed to find any.
  11. Oct 14, 2008 #10

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Locked due to over speculation.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?