Antimatter-matter asymmetry, Law of charge

Summary:
When matter was created at a slightly larger volume than anti matter, why did the universe stay net neutral?
I'm new to Astrophysics and I'm just now learning about Antimatter-Matter asymmetry. I understand some of the theories involving how this imbalance couldve occurred, but I'm confused on why the net charge of the universe stayed at zero. It seems to me like if the antimatter particle changed to a matter particle, it would create a slight imbalance in terms of charge. Or at least that statistically speaking, one particle, for example a proton, would be made at a greater volume than the electron might. Of course those are interchangeably but it seems impossibly unlikely that it would be exactly zero, and I don't think law of conversion of change applies to this. I could very well be wrong but I was hoping there were theoretical explanations for this.

Answers and Replies

Orodruin
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2021 Award
It is not that a number of positrons randomly change to being electrons or anything similar. The processes still follow certain rules (exactly which depend on the theory).

mathman
Science Advisor
The discrepancy seems to based on slightly different decay mechanisms. Charge is not affected.

The discrepancy seems to based on slightly different decay mechanisms. Charge is not affected.
Ok that makes sense. Is there any explanation for why the ratio of protons and electrons seems to be near identical though? I may be misinterpreting but that seems unrelated to your point about decay

mathman
Science Advisor
Universe started out with neutral charge,

Universe started out with neutral charge,
Yes but I'm still confused on the whole process of it. Like how do electrons know when there's an excess of protons, and vice versa?

Orodruin
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2021 Award
They don’t need to know. Charge is conserved.

Drakkith
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Yes but I'm still confused on the whole process of it. Like how do electrons know when there's an excess of protons, and vice versa?
Assuming the universe started with a neutral charge, then charge conservation ensures that it can never develop a charge imbalance. For every negative charge created, a positive charge will also be created, and vice-versa. The same is true when charges are destroyed. No particle has to know anything at all since charge conservation is 'built in' to the creation and destruction rules.