Any bio-related benefit of UV radiation?

In summary, the conversation covers the topic of UV radiation and its effects on living organisms, including the potential benefits of UV radiation for producing vitamin D and regulating circadian rhythms. It also discusses the use of UV radiation in dermatology and the potential for using it in hospitals for sterilization. Additionally, the conversation mentions a recent study on the positive effects of outdoor time on preventing myopia in children. However, the benefits are likely due to the opportunity for the eyes to focus on distant objects, rather than UV exposure.
Brian1952
We're all pretty familiar with the harmful effects of UV radiation on biological organisms, including us. My question is whether there is any necessary or beneficial effect of UV radiation. That is, if our atmosphere suddenly started blocking out 100% of UV while passing all other radiation as normal, would there be any detrimental effect on life on Earth? Thank you.

Biology news on Phys.org
Thank you very much!

Likes Nik_2213
Brian1952 said:
We're all pretty familiar with the harmful effects of UV radiation on biological organisms, including us. My question is whether there is any necessary or beneficial effect of UV radiation. That is, if our atmosphere suddenly started blocking out 100% of UV while passing all other radiation as normal, would there be any detrimental effect on life on Earth? Thank you.
Vision in bees

Another "Thank you!"

Reptiles require UVB to make Vitamin D, and they can see UVA. Humans have trichromatic vision, three wavelengths of light. Reptiles generally have tetrachromatic vision, receptor cells in the retina that respond to 4 different wavelengths of light. Lighting and UVB overall effect reproduction, too, as part of circadian (day length) responses.
http://www.reptilesmagazine.com/Reptile-Health/Habitats-Care/Reptile-Lighting-Information/ <- Pet owners guide to lighting for reptile enclosures.

PS: the reptilian parietal (third) eye is very interesting. You may want to do a search on it.

Likes Nik_2213
Brian1952 said:
My question is whether there is any necessary or beneficial effect of UV radiation.
Back 30 years ago, UV treatment in dermatology was used as part of treating acne. I think it was used to kill certain kinds of bacteria on the skin and to some shallow depth, but I'm not sure.

Ah, Google and Wikipedia to the rescue... :smile:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultraviolet_light_therapy

upload_2018-10-22_7-55-13.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-10-22_7-55-13.png
    upload_2018-10-22_7-55-13.png
    59.2 KB · Views: 587
Likes ChemAir and pinball1970
My thanks to all!

Likes berkeman
I was going to post a similar, related question: There are some vacuum cleaners that use UV radiation to kill bacteria in the home; is it realistic to use UV radiation in hospitals instead of soap and water to keep personnel's hands sterilized?

alantheastronomer said:
I was going to post a similar, related question: There are some vacuum cleaners that use UV radiation to kill bacteria in the home; is it realistic to use UV radiation in hospitals instead of soap and water to keep personnel's hands sterilized?

I would think there would be damage to the skin if exposure was above a certain intensity. The sun ages as well damages the skin and the links to uv and melanoma are well documented

I am NOT expert, so please don't believe in what I say totally.

Recently I read a new research on the web believing that children being outdoor under sunlight for 10 - 15 (I forget the exact hours) every week in addition to their outdoor activities in school will have positive effect for prevention on myopia, while they also believe that there is little linkage between long-term reading closely and myopia, in contrast to traditional belief

kenny1999 said:
Recently I read a new research on the web
Please post the link. Thanks.

kenny1999 said:
I am NOT expert, so please don't believe in what I say totally.

Recently I read a new research on the web believing that children being outdoor under sunlight for 10 - 15 (I forget the exact hours) every week in addition to their outdoor activities in school will have positive effect for prevention on myopia, while they also believe that there is little linkage between long-term reading closely and myopia, in contrast to traditional belief
This is true, though the effect probably is not related to UV radiation. Rather, indoors, you cannot see very far, so your eyes don't get the opportunity to focus on very distant object. Being outside (during the day) gives one's eyes exercise in focusing on distant objects, helping to prevent near-nearsightedness.

1. How does UV radiation benefit plants?

UV radiation is necessary for plant growth and development. It stimulates the production of a hormone called auxin, which promotes cell elongation and helps plants grow taller. UV radiation also increases the production of chlorophyll, the pigment responsible for photosynthesis, leading to healthier and more productive plants.

2. Can UV radiation be beneficial for human health?

While overexposure to UV radiation can be harmful to human health, controlled exposure to UV radiation can have some benefits. UV radiation is necessary for the production of vitamin D in our bodies, which is essential for bone health and immune function. UV radiation has also been used in phototherapy to treat skin conditions such as psoriasis and eczema.

3. Does UV radiation have any benefits for animals?

UV radiation plays an important role in animal behavior and physiology. Some animals, such as reptiles, amphibians, and birds, use UV radiation for communication, navigation, and finding food. UV radiation also helps animals synthesize vitamin D, which is important for bone health and immune function. However, overexposure to UV radiation can be harmful to animals, just like humans.

4. Is there a link between UV radiation and biodiversity?

UV radiation is essential for the survival and diversity of many species. UV radiation can affect the behavior, development, and physiology of plants and animals, which can have a ripple effect on entire ecosystems. UV radiation also plays a role in the evolution of different species and adaptations to their environment.

5. How can we protect ourselves from the harmful effects of UV radiation?

To avoid the harmful effects of UV radiation, it is essential to limit exposure to direct sunlight, especially during peak hours when UV radiation is strongest. Wearing protective clothing, such as hats and long-sleeved shirts, and using sunscreen with a high SPF can also help protect against UV radiation. It is also important to regularly check UV indexes and avoid using tanning beds, which emit high levels of UV radiation.