Working with UV-C on independent project

In summary, the individual is using a UV-C (Hg low pressure lamp) for a biology project and has two questions: 1) How far does UV-C penetrate through various materials? and 2) What effects of UV-C could they expect to feel on themselves? They also mention their intention to encourage a culture of bacteria to adapt a resistance to UV-C for a scholarship project. The expert clarifies that the bacteria will not actively adapt but rather the resistant strains will flourish after the non-resistant strains are killed off by the lamp.
Super Monkey
Hello,
I'm using UV-C (Hg low pressure lamp) and I wanted to see if someone could give me some insight.

I have a couple of questions:

1) How far does UV-C penetrate through various materials? In my testing, it seems to go straight through plastics. I have UV blocking glasses - but those are most likely designed for UV-A/B. Some literature I found indicates that any eyeglasses should be more than adequate for stopping all UV-C - but I'm nervous because it seems to have no problem with plastics (not sure the type)

2) What effects of UV-C could I expect to feel on myself? I would only be exposed a few seconds at a time - I imagine that this is much less radiation than I would be exposed while arc welding (used to do that a lot). The bulb I am using is a Ushio G25T8 25 Watt bulb. I can't imagine that this UV source is more dangerous than a 130 ampere arc...

Anyways, I'm working on a biology project to see if I can encourage a culture of bacteria to adapt a resistance to UV-C with the hopes of earning a scholarship or something along those lines. Any help would be great - even if you just point me in the direction of a book!

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Super Monkey said:
Hello,
I'm using UV-C (Hg low pressure lamp) and I wanted to see if someone could give me some insight.

I have a couple of questions:

1) How far does UV-C penetrate through various materials? In my testing, it seems to go straight through plastics. I have UV blocking glasses - but those are most likely designed for UV-A/B. Some literature I found indicates that any eyeglasses should be more than adequate for stopping all UV-C - but I'm nervous because it seems to have no problem with plastics (not sure the type)

2) What effects of UV-C could I expect to feel on myself? I would only be exposed a few seconds at a time - I imagine that this is much less radiation than I would be exposed while arc welding (used to do that a lot). The bulb I am using is a Ushio G25T8 25 Watt bulb. I can't imagine that this UV source is more dangerous than a 130 ampere arc...

Anyways, I'm working on a biology project to see if I can encourage a culture of bacteria to adapt a resistance to UV-C with the hopes of earning a scholarship or something along those lines. Any help would be great - even if you just point me in the direction of a book!

Thanks.

Your culture will not 'adapt' to the UV light. Rather, there will be a very small sample in the culture that's already resistant to UV. Once your lamp kills off all the non-resistant strains, the resistant strains will flourish (keeping in mind that the mutation responsible for the UV resistance is a hindrance in non-UV environments, which will explain their small numbers in the culture).

Your lamp will give you a deep suntan.

I did not mean to imply that I expect bacteria to "adapt" actively in a Lamarckian sense - I meant exactly what you said - I intend to isolate those bacteria which have natural resistance to UV and expand on that culture. If I can determine what mutations render a single cell more resistant to UV, that would be useful information, don't you think? I was inspired to do this experiment by the bacterium D. Radiodurans.

1. What is UV-C and how does it work?

UV-C, also known as ultraviolet-C, is a type of ultraviolet light with a wavelength of 200-280 nanometers. It works by damaging the genetic material of microorganisms, preventing them from reproducing and causing them to die.

2. Can UV-C be used for disinfection on independent projects?

Yes, UV-C has been proven to effectively disinfect surfaces and air in various independent projects. However, it is important to use the correct dosage and exposure time for optimal results.

3. Are there any safety precautions that need to be taken when working with UV-C?

Yes, UV-C can be harmful to humans and other living organisms. It is important to wear protective gear, such as goggles and gloves, when handling UV-C equipment. It is also important to follow proper safety protocols and guidelines to minimize exposure.

4. What materials can be disinfected with UV-C?

UV-C can effectively disinfect a wide range of materials, including metal, plastic, glass, and fabric. However, certain materials may be more sensitive to UV-C and may require lower dosages or shorter exposure times.

5. How does UV-C compare to other disinfection methods?

UV-C is a chemical-free and environmentally friendly disinfection method. It is also more efficient in killing certain microorganisms compared to other methods such as chemical disinfectants. However, it may not be suitable for all types of surfaces and may require longer exposure times for certain pathogens.