Any colleges offering A bach in Physics online?

In summary, the conversation discusses the lack of completely online physics undergraduate degree programs and the challenges of offering science and engineering courses in an online format. It is mentioned that some state colleges offer online classes and degree programs through networks like SLN, but these programs are not widely advertised. The difficulty of teaching and learning complex subjects through electronic means is also highlighted, with personal experiences shared. While there may be some success with online learning, it is generally agreed that it is not the ideal way to gain a deep understanding of a subject.
nicodemo
Was wondering if anyone knew of any colleges out there that maybe offering physics undergraduate degree programs that are completely online?

I searched google for hours and could not come up with any. Only some colleges that offer a couple physics for engineers and scientist online classes, nothing more. There's got to be schools out there that do. Most state colleges that do offer online programs are not advertised on google or any of the search engines. I'm a NY state resident and here we have SLN (Suny Learning network) which is a network that offers many online classes and even full degree programs online from various state colleges in NY, and you won't find any of these NY programs on any search engine. So I imagine the possibility of there being several colleges that must offer a physics online program from some other state...not doubt. SLN does not offer any advanced online degrees, but they are working on getting an undergraduates electronics engineering program online, but it is waiting approval.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Science and engineering programs are not particularly well-suited to the online format. A good professor adds much more to lectures than can be gained from just reading, and additional (especially mathematical) explanations are hard to get across by electronic means. And of course, any reputable physics degree has to include upper-level labs, which can't be satisfied via the "go to your local community college" route. Finally, I can't believe there's enough demand for physics distance learning for someone to be able to profitably offer it.

In my experience (as an observer of both teachers and students; I've never done it myself), online courses are a dreadful way to learn. Use them to get a job credential or cheaply take care of distribution requirements, not because you want to gain a deep understanding of a subject.

Indeed. My school offers a decent number of classes online, mostly general education requirements, but also sometimes the introductory level classes for various disciplines. I took the introductory physics level class online. I got an A. But I was the only student that passed the class, out of about 50 students. All the grades were posted online (without the students' names, of course), and most students had averages like 20 or 30. Yes, out of a 100 scale. It was crazy. I don't know if they actually failed the whole class or if they applied a massive curve to the grades; I never knew anyone in the class, so... It's weird because when I saw those grades, I figured "Wow, I bet they're going to stop offering this class online, because surely they can't just keep offering the class in a format where almost everyone fails!" But no, they still offer the class online.

I also took a Computer Science class online, and the results were pretty bad there too, although not quite so horrifying.

Anyway, to echo the previous reply, I doubt a school would be successful in offering an entirely online program in physics.

I too took college physics I & II algebra/trig based completely on line from Herkimer County Community College. And by the way I aced them both. Actually many of the students passed. Half would eventually drop the class.

JDGates said:
Science and engineering programs are not particularly well-suited to the online format. A good professor adds much more to lectures than can be gained from just reading, and additional (especially mathematical) explanations are hard to get across by electronic means. And of course, any reputable physics degree has to include upper-level labs, which can't be satisfied via the "go to your local community college" route. Finally, I can't believe there's enough demand for physics distance learning for someone to be able to profitably offer it.

In my experience (as an observer of both teachers and students; I've never done it myself), online courses are a dreadful way to learn. Use them to get a job credential or cheaply take care of distribution requirements, not because you want to gain a deep understanding of a subject.
Well online learning may not be for some. I have certainly excelled at it. As for entire physics degrees online, well I concur with your response. But several reputable universities do offer physics for engineers and scientists calc based classes completely online as well as calculus I through III all online. University of North Dakota offers electrical & mechanical engineering bachelors degrees completely online that are ABET approved. But for the lab portion, you have to go on campus for a week during the summer to complete the lab part.

1. What colleges offer a Bachelor's degree in Physics online?

There are several colleges and universities that offer a Bachelor's degree in Physics online, including Arizona State University, University of Florida, and Oregon State University. It is important to research each program and make sure it is accredited and meets your academic and career goals.

2. What are the admission requirements for online Bachelor's programs in Physics?

The admission requirements for online Bachelor's programs in Physics vary by institution, but typically include a high school diploma or equivalent, transcripts, letters of recommendation, and sometimes standardized test scores. Some programs may also require prerequisite coursework in math and science.

3. Can I complete a Bachelor's degree in Physics entirely online?

Yes, it is possible to complete a Bachelor's degree in Physics entirely online. However, some programs may have on-campus requirements for certain courses, such as lab work or research. Be sure to check with the specific program for their requirements.

4. How long does it take to complete an online Bachelor's degree in Physics?

The length of time it takes to complete an online Bachelor's degree in Physics depends on various factors, such as the number of credits required, the pace at which you take courses, and any transfer credits you may have. On average, it takes about 4 years to complete a Bachelor's degree.

5. What career opportunities are available with a Bachelor's degree in Physics?

A Bachelor's degree in Physics can lead to a variety of career opportunities, including roles in research, education, engineering, data analysis, and more. Graduates may also pursue advanced degrees in physics or related fields, such as astrophysics or engineering.