1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Any good books to learn quantum physics

1. Jun 18, 2008 #1
    Hi everyone. Does anyone know any good books (easy to understand, not too lengthy) on quantum physics. Right now, I am studying aerospace engineering (2nd Year) and honestly, I have always loved physics.....but right now, studying higher physics is kinda hard for me given the degree I am doing. I did touch upon quantum physics last year with the Bohr hydrogen atom, photoelectric effect etc. But I am looking to get a good grasp of the subject. And for those of you who are wondering why I didnt do a physics degree, the job and salary outlook does not look too great....

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 18, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 18, 2008 #2
    There are a few threads regarding books for learning quantum mechanics.
    I'm guessing you're familiar with multivariable calculus, in which case you should find Griffiths' Introduction to Quantum Mechanics pretty readable. Shankar's Principles of Quantum Mechanics is a bit lengthier than Griffiths and more heavy on the math, but it's a good introduction assuming you're at least comfortable with vectors and matrices; he does cover the required math (and classical mechanics) in a chapter though. Both of these are written in a conversational style, which is great if you're looking for someone to give it to you straight.
    I was able to read through Shankar with no more physics than mechanics at the first year level and general physics at the high school level, but the math courses I had done prior may have compensated for that. Needless to say, if your physics is weak, strengthening up your math will probably be a good idea (and as an aerospace engineering major, I'm guessing you can fit in a few extra math courses).
    And anyway, I thought job prospects were good for physicists.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?