1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Programs Any good open universities around?

1. May 11, 2016 #1
    Hello,
    forum its been some time since I posted something on this site, feels good to be back :)

well I am facing a problem and have thought about it and think I will be needing some help from you guys.... the story goes as such..

well, I finished a four year degree in the field of physics (where i come from the BSc is 4 yrs and not 3) i worked for a couple of years on modeling neutron star collisions... etc. After that, I decided to become a space systems engineer and hence returned back to studying where I obtained myself a second BSc and a MSc in space systems engineering. Everythig has turned out nicely so far and have found a job under my MSc title, have a gf and soon planning to have kids...

Though I feel empty and sad inside, because I have regretted my decision become an engineer, its not that I dont like it; its just that after understanding what engineering is, I find it boring and not very intellectual at all. I feel this urge and passion inside me to study physics again on the side next to my day job. I know this will be a tedious task but I know that this will make me happy. And hence I want to peruse it.

What I need from you guys/girls is some advice on any open universities that you may know that provide online courses regarding theoretical physics.

Cheers :)

2. jcsd
  3. May 11, 2016 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

These two seem contradictory. Can you expand a bit?

4. May 11, 2016 #3
    Thank you for your replay,

Though i am happy that you have shown intetest in my enquiery, i do not find any correlation between my question and the exploration of my subconcious feelings.

But since you have asked, let me answer in a nut shell, in case some other reader has a diffuculty in choosing between these two feilds of science: i am more interested to answer the question why(?) rather than how(?).

5. May 11, 2016 #4

IGU

How about following the advice on Gerard ’t Hooft's site? Self-study seems to me to be the way to go at this point.

6. May 14, 2016 #5
    There are very few options on the postgraduate level. In fact, an MSc in mathematics from the Open University seems to be the option closest to theoretical physics as far as accredited online programs go: http://www.find-online-courses.com/online-programs-in-mathematics (click: "postgraduate")

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted