Any interest in a spacetime diagram generator?

In summary, the speaker has created a script-based spacetime diagram generator and is unsure if it will be useful to others. They have found limited web tools and one downloadable program but they were all GUI-based. The speaker is not a physicist but is curious about special relativity and would benefit from a professional review. The software is still in its alpha stage and may have bugs. The speaker has some ideas for improvements, such as adding labels and a way to assign variables, and suggests moving the project to a platform like GitHub or SourceForge. They are working on this project in their spare time and may not have time to implement all of their ideas.
Freixas
Hi,

I've written a script-based spacetime diagram generator. I have no idea if it has any value for anyone besides myself—you may have access to better tools than I do. When I looked for spacetime generators, I only found some very limited web tools and one downloadable program that wasn't much better. All of these were GUI-based, which is a big part of the problem.

I am in no way a physicist, just a layman curious about special relativity. If someone here would benefit from such a tool, I would benefit from having a professional set of eyes review it. At this point, consider this alpha-level software. There are probably still some bugs and I may make some drastic changes if I get some good suggestions.

Since it's script-based, you'll need to read the instructions—or you can skip ahead to the examples.

The diagram generator, like any tool, could be improved. I have some ideas for it:
  • Labels.
  • Some way of assigning variables, so that some global changes could be made in just one place. This could include variable assignment that allowed some math, or at least some function calls (such as a Lorentz transform).
  • A method of chaining worldlines from series of constant velocity and constant acceleration worldlines, with the ability to draw the instantaneous moving frame (IMF) at any point.
  • A better way of drawing lines of simultaneity between worldlines.
I have no idea if I'll get to any of these. I'm just one guy working on this in his spare time.

Likes Ibix
Physics news on Phys.org
Even if you don't get any immediate positive responses, it might be worth moving the project to github or sourceforge.

1. What is a spacetime diagram generator?

A spacetime diagram generator is a tool used by scientists and researchers to visualize and analyze the relationship between space and time in a given scenario. It is a graphical representation that shows the spatial and temporal coordinates of events or objects in a particular system.

2. How does a spacetime diagram generator work?

A spacetime diagram generator uses mathematical equations and data input to create a visual representation of the relationship between space and time. It typically uses a coordinate system to plot events or objects in a specific space and time frame, allowing for a better understanding of the dynamics of a system.

3. What are the benefits of using a spacetime diagram generator?

A spacetime diagram generator can help scientists and researchers to better understand complex systems and phenomena by providing a visual representation of the relationship between space and time. It can also aid in making predictions and analyzing data in fields such as physics, astronomy, and engineering.

4. Are there different types of spacetime diagram generators?

Yes, there are various types of spacetime diagram generators, each with its own unique features and applications. Some are more specialized for specific fields or theories, while others are more general and can be used for a wide range of scenarios. Some common types include Minkowski diagrams, Penrose diagrams, and Feynman diagrams.

5. Who can benefit from using a spacetime diagram generator?

Scientists, researchers, and students in various fields such as physics, astronomy, and engineering can benefit from using a spacetime diagram generator. It can also be a useful tool for anyone interested in understanding the relationship between space and time and visualizing complex systems.