Any Phone Apps that Can Surreptitiously Record?

• Thread starter kyphysics
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Apps
In summary: Your state may have a different law than California, berkeman. I can record secretly in my state (as long as I'm one of the parties IN that conversation). Also, our clients request it sometimes. The reason I can't give you too many details of my work is because it would violate my ICAs that are standard in the industry. Other than saying you do hidden audits and conduct secret shopping, most company's contracts forbid revealing their inner workings, client lists, what you see, etc. ...It sounds like you're doing something clandestine, and I'm wondering if that's something that would be difficult to do if you're not the one recording the conversation.It sounds like you're doing
kyphysics
I'm wondering if anyone has come across a phone app that can record video and/or audio without going into a "record screen," whereby it's easy for someone in view of the phone's screen to know you're recording them.

No, I'm not stalker or anything like that in case you're wondering. :-p It's something that would be useful for my part-time job. Thanks!

Computer science news on Phys.org
Software like Where's My Droid can do this but it has to be your phone and that option is part of stuff that costs money.

kyphysics said:
It's something that would be useful for my part-time job.
What is your part-time job?

Notability has a record feature that you can use while taking notes. It will each note to a spot on the recording so when you tap on a note it jumps to the corresponding recording spot.

jedishrfu said:
Notability has a record feature that you can use while taking notes. It will each note to a spot on the recording so when you tap on a note it jumps to the corresponding recording spot.

Never heard of NOtability, jedishrfu, but shall look it up. Thx for the rec.

berkeman said:
What is your part-time job?
I do secret shopping and big box store audits. You can always buy a hidden cam, but I don't need it that much to make it worthwhile. I use human memory to "record" stuff, but occasionally it gets hard, due to the number of things happening at once. If a phone has a free app, then that makes it easier.
Borg said:
Software like Where's My Droid can do this but it has to be your phone and that option is part of stuff that costs money.
Never heard of this one either, berkeman, but thanks for the rec. and going to look it up too.

Last edited by a moderator:
You could just write an app yourself to do this.
There are several questions on stackoverflow where you could copy the code from
e.g. this or this

kyphysics said:
I do secret shopping and big box store audits. You can always buy a hidden cam, but I don't need it that much to make it worthwhile. I use human memory to "record" stuff, but occasionally it gets hard, due to the number of things happening at once. If a phone has a free app, then that makes it easier.
The Secret Voice Recorder app works nicely on my stock Samsung Galaxy by pressing the power button three times, even with it locked and encrypted.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.miragestack.secret.voice.recorder

Likes kyphysics
kyphysics said:

I was a newspaper reporter, and found tape recording invaluable for long interviews. However I never did any "undercover" work where I would have wanted to tape-record secretly. You haven't given details of your work, and maybe expectations of privacy don't apply in your case; but I'll go into this issue briefly for the sake of anyone who's curious:

Some states have fairly loose "one-party consent" laws that make it okay for just one party to a conversation to make a surreptitious recording, whether audio or video. However other states, e.g. California, have stricter "two-party consent" laws that would make surreptitious recording of that sort possibly illegal; here for example is an article on the California law: http://www.bc-llp.com/illegally-recording-conversation/

So if anyone reading this thread is contemplating secret recording of other persons' conversations, I'd advise checking the law in your state first. Even if you don't intend to invade privacy (i.e. you want the information for a more general purpose such as data collection), getting caught could be unpleasant for everyone involved.

Last edited:
Likes stoomart
UsableThought said:
So if anyone reading this thread is contemplating secret recording of other persons' conversations, I'd advise checking the law in your state first. Even if you don't intend to invade privacy (i.e. you want the information for a more general purpose such as data collection), getting caught could be unpleasant for everyone involved.

1,000% agree. Make sure you check your state laws!

I can record secretly in my state (as long as I'm one of the parties IN that conversation). Also, our clients request it sometimes. The reason I can't give you too many details of my work is because it would violate my ICAs that are standard in the industry. Other than saying you do hidden audits and conduct secret shopping, most company's contracts forbid revealing their inner workings, client lists, what you see, etc. So, if my mom wanted to know what I did over the weekend, even I couldn't tell her beyond very general details. :-p

But, basically, I would want to be able to record what was said over the course of an "interaction" with multiple people I encountered while evaluating a business.

Likes UsableThought
I have an Android app called Alabi designed to do exactly what you asked. It can record audio and/or video and/or still images. It time stamps the records, and stores them locally on your phone.

But it will not record your phone conversations, because that runs afoul of different laws.

Likes kyphysics and stoomart
anorlunda said:
I have an Android app called Alabi designed to do exactly what you asked. It can record audio and/or video and/or still images. It time stamps the records, and stores them locally on your phone.

But it will not record your phone conversations, because that runs afoul of different laws.
Does this app allow you to turn it on without opening/unlocking the screen?

stoomart said:
Does this app allow you to turn it on without opening/unlocking the screen?

No, but you can turn the screen off while it continues recording.

1. Can any phone app record secretly without the user's knowledge?

Yes, there are several phone apps available that can surreptitiously record audio and video without the user's knowledge. These apps usually have a hidden recording feature that can be activated remotely or through a secret code.

2. How can I detect if my phone is being secretly recorded by an app?

There are a few indicators that may suggest your phone is being secretly recorded by an app. These include unusual background noise during phone calls, unexpected battery drain, and overheating of the phone. It is also recommended to regularly check your phone's app permissions and remove any suspicious apps.

3. Is it legal for someone to use a surreptitious recording app?

The legality of using a surreptitious recording app varies depending on the country or state you are in. In some places, it is illegal to record someone without their consent, while in others it is permitted as long as there is no expectation of privacy. It is important to check your local laws before using any recording apps.

4. Can these surreptitious recording apps be used for spying on someone?

Yes, these apps can be used for spying on someone without their knowledge or consent. This can be a violation of privacy laws and can have serious consequences. It is important to only use these apps for legal and ethical purposes.

5. How can I protect myself from being recorded without my knowledge?

To protect yourself from being recorded without your knowledge, it is important to regularly check your phone for any suspicious apps and remove them. You can also keep your phone locked when not in use and avoid downloading apps from untrusted sources. Additionally, be cautious of your surroundings and avoid discussing sensitive or personal information in public spaces.