(App for) Tracking Lost Android Phones?

In summary, the conversation is about recommendations for a free or cheap app to track lost Android phones. Google has a service called 'Find my Phone' that is mentioned multiple times and is recommended by one of the participants. The LG site also has an overview on how to use this service. The conversation ends with someone planning to try the app soon.
WWGD
Science Advisor
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
Programs to track lost Androids?
Hi All,
Can anyone recommend a free/cheap app to track lost Android phones? Did a search and saw a few sources but wanted to see if someone here can personally recommend. In case it helps, its an LG K8.

Computer science news on Phys.org
Unless you've disabled it, the default Google 'Find my Phone' should work for this, @WWGD. I've used it, it's fine, literally doing what it says on the box, though I haven't scrubbed a phone with it, only located one.

There is an overview of how it works on the LG site:

https://www.lg.com/us/support/help-...ne-and-device-reset-CT10000026-20150375512868

Is there something you need in the 'Find my Phone' function that Google's mechanism that doesn't provide?

Likes russ_watters and WWGD
Melbourne Guy said:
Unless you've disabled it, the default Google 'Find my Phone' should work for this, @WWGD. I've used it, it's fine, literally doing what it says on the box, though I haven't scrubbed a phone with it, only located one.

There is an overview of how it works on the LG site:

https://www.lg.com/us/support/help-...ne-and-device-reset-CT10000026-20150375512868

Is there something you need in the 'Find my Phone' function that Google's mechanism that doesn't provide?
Thank you. I haven't tried Google's 'Find my Phone' yet. Will try it today/tomorrow.

1. How does the app track lost Android phones?

The app uses a combination of GPS, Wi-Fi, and cellular data to pinpoint the location of the lost phone. It also has the ability to remotely turn on location services if they are turned off.

2. Can the app be used to track a stolen Android phone?

Yes, the app can be used to track a stolen phone as long as the phone is turned on and connected to the internet. The app also has the ability to take a photo from the front camera to help identify the thief.

3. Will the app drain the phone's battery?

The app is designed to use minimal battery power while running in the background. However, if the phone's battery is already low, it may drain faster while using the app. It is recommended to have the phone fully charged before using the tracking feature.

4. What happens if the lost phone is turned off or the battery dies?

If the phone is turned off or the battery dies, the app will not be able to track its location. However, the app will save the phone's last known location before it was turned off or the battery died, which can still be used to narrow down the search area.

5. Can the app be used to remotely lock or wipe the lost phone?

Yes, the app has a feature that allows users to remotely lock or wipe their lost phone. This can help protect personal information from falling into the wrong hands.