1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Any quick help with rearranging schrodinger equation in dirac notation

1. Aug 17, 2014 #1
    I'm looking through my lecture notes, (studying relativistic corrections/perturbation theory using hydrogen), and I seem to have a mind block with one of the equations (the last one from the 3 in the middle).

I know that the kinetic energy and coulomb potential has been subbed in for the operator H0, but I don't understand the rearrangement. Simply multiply both sides by 2*m, then take the coulomb potential to the other side.

The coulomb potential (the e^2 term) on the left hand side is positive, moving it to the right would make it negative, so why is it postive?

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      32.1 KB
      Views:
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 17, 2014 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

... I think I see what you mean.
    ##V(r)=e^2/4\pi\epsilon_0r## would be a repulsive potential wouldn't it?
    If the potential is supposed to be attractive, then they've made a typo in the initial substitution: there should be a minus sign in there.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted